First try smoking on a new Weber

slugmong

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
After consigning the old horizontal BBQ to the big skip in the sky I treated myself to a lovely new Weber, I managed to get a good deal on it so I spent the difference on a Maverick et-732! I got the grill going for a Pork Joint and a chicken. I put the Maverick probe in the Pork and set it for 205F as I quite fancied some pulled pork.
I used lumpwood and found the grill was quite erratic going from 190f to 300f but managed to keep it to an average of 250-270. The Maverick beeped at 205 after 5 hours. The chicken was perfect (could have probably pulled it sooner) but the pork was cooked but not falling apart. Still, I sliced the pork and it was really tasty so all is not lost!
I think that next time I will use briquettes and try to keep the temperature lower for a longer cook.

Last edited:
Looks good. One thing I do when smoking on my kettle is limiting how much lit coals I have. I will normally fill the coal basket except for 1 corner of it. Then use 1/4 of a chimney of lit coals and put it in the corner of the coal basket. If there is too much lit coals to fit in that small corner, let it fall to the side of the basket.

Also a water pan helps with keeping temps a little bit more stable.

Another way to keep temperatures more stable is the ring of fire method. If you google it, you will find post thread with pictures for the ring of fire.

Any weber will cook hotter for the forst few cooks. Once you start getting a buildup on the inside of the bowl and lid it will settle down, so don't make too many changes until you have it broken in.

Back