MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need Help - Looking for Smoker for Fish

My neighbor and buddy is a prominent seafood supplier here in Charleston and is looking to buy a smoker dedicated to smoking fish for customers. He wants the ability to hot smoke and cold smoke and needs a smoker large enough to put fairly big pans in. He's looked at a Viking commercial smoker here at a local restaurant (gravity-fed/stainless) and the guys running it swear it will cold-smoke out of the box. I don't believe it. Don't even think that's possible without some sort of tweaking. In my mind, an electric may be his best bet.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience here? When I say cold smoke above I'm talking about holding temps in the 100-120 range. Just don't think a vertical smoker fueled by charcoal and wood can do that without dry ice or something.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/inde...d=70&Itemid=90
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

I have that smoker , and it may cold smoke out of the box with some considerations
Althought it is insolated outside temps will impact smoking temps
I did manage to maintain 100 degrees on a 50 degree night - it was the coldest I could get it - I made a jerky run that night so it was ok
With colder outdoor temps it may be able to get a lower smoking temp, but there is a limit as to how small a fire you could maintain. It is a stumps smoker design and stump owners could pipe in with thier experience.

You could always use a cold smoke tray, but with that any smoker could work!

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

A properly applied Weber WSM would more than cover your Friends needs.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
I have that smoker , and it may cold smoke out of the box with some considerations
Althought it is insolated outside temps will impact smoking temps
I did manage to maintain 100 degrees on a 50 degree night - it was the coldest I could get it - I made a jerky run that night so it was ok
With colder outdoor temps it may be able to get a lower smoking temp, but there is a limit as to how small a fire you could maintain. It is a stumps smoker design and stump owners could pipe in with thier experience.

You could always use a cold smoke tray, but with that any smoker could work!
Is there something about the gravity-fed design that allows them to run cooler than my Pitmaker (which is a water smoker)? The fact that the fire box is offset? I'm just trying to figure out how you could get a smoker to run that low - i.e. 120 degrees without putting the fire out. I assume you're using a very small amount of fuel?