first brisket in progress, quick question

syndicate559

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Put my first brisket ever on the WSM at 2 AM. It's been on for about 6 1/2 hours now. The center of the flat is reading about 155, but the point is up to about 180 and feeling pretty tender. I'm cooking fat side down and have been holding a dome temp of about 250. I had read a bunch of places where people say they cook the flat to tender, then separate the point and cook it until it's done. As of right now, though, it looks like my point is going to be done first. Is this normal?

I don't usually take the temp of my point, it's just fatty enough to not worry about it. Let your flat finish then separate the point from it. I keep the point on the smoker for at least another hour then finish it off over some hot coals. I go by feel and not temp.

yup^^^. don't even worry about the point at all. she'll do her thing on her own.

when the flat is good to go, the point will be ready to eat too.

if you want some "burnt ends", put the point back on the cooker for a while.

From my limited experience: don't worry too much about the point - it's a forgiving bit of meat. My points have always "gotten there" before the flats, I've just rolled with it, and it was fine (I've never taken the temp, btw - I just go by feel). The point in my opinion is by far the better part of a packer. Good luck!

Back