MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Lightbulb Beef Revelation: Pecan Smoked Kobe Tri-Tip

Yesterday the Missus and I went to the LA Farmer's Market to scope out the meat counter I had heard very good things about. I couldn't help but notice they had Snake River Farms Tri-Tip at $16.99 per pound. That sure seemed like a good deal to me, esp with the NY Strips at $79.99 per pound. At the very front of the window there was a really choice well marbled specimen that was calling my name. I chose that one, along with some USDA Prime boneless short ribs and we were off and running.

Here's the Kobe Tri-Tip in the package after we brought it home:

Out of the package:

Since it was just the two of us, the Missus and I decided to cut the meat in half, cook the tail end, and freeze the other portion for another meal. When I cut into it, this is what I saw:

It sure looked like we were going to be in for a treat! I seasoned the meat with sea salt and seasoned pepper and let it sit for a while so the meat could come up to room temp:

Our kitten Purrdy is a carnivore through and through, and we have learned that it is not good to leave meat of any kind on the counter unattended. I turned my back for a few seconds, and sure enough, he was on the prowl for some Kobe:

Sorry, Purrd, no treats for you tonight!

I fired up the Kingsford Oval for the usual indirect/reverse sear, and added a chunk of Pecan for smoke:

Here it is about 3/4 into the cook:

Once the meat reached about 115 degrees internal, I put it on the hot side for a nice hot sear, and pulled it when it reached 130. Time for a nice quiet rest:

Meanwhile, the Missus had baked some fresh baguettes in the oven, and prepared a delicious salad from greens in our garden.

Time to carve. I kept a few pieces of the bread handy to soak up any extra juices:

And here it is, after I carved a few pieces off:

This was the finest beef I have eaten yet. It was filet-tender, and the flavor was indescribably rich. I will certainly be doing this again!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Moose I am sooooooo jealous! That looks farkin' fabulous!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow that looks awesome!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Holy cow, that looks great. Looks like it'd be worth the trip to head over to the LA farmer's market! I've never been, where is it exactly?
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
chambersuac

While I admit that it looks GREAT, I am a bit worried about you. I read that all Snake River Farms Tri-Tip sold in your area is tainted and eating more than one serving in a year could be fatal. I read in your post that you saved some of that dangerous meat, too. Let me to encourage you to get rid of it ASAP. It won't be good after a year and I don't want you and the missus to get really sick. I happen to be a certified beef disposal expert and would be happy to properly dispose of it - I'll even pay shipping, just to ensure you're safe. That's just the kinda guy I am. :)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Moose I am sooooooo jealous! That looks farkin' fabulous!

...indeed Pharking Phabulousz!
Good call on the bread!

BTW...that's a heck of a seasoned grill you got right there!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

that farkin' rocks !!!!!!! hell,i'd hit that raw.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
deepsouth

daaaaaaaamn.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

The marbleing in that cut is fantastic!
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I really need to get myself some of that
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
caseydog

I'm not a tri-tip fan, but I'd be willing to give that one a taste.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle corn View Post
Holy cow, that looks great. Looks like it'd be worth the trip to head over to the LA farmer's market! I've never been, where is it exactly?
The Farmer's Market is at 3rd and Fairfax; the meat counter I got the Kobe at is called Huntington Meats. Here's the link to the Farmer's Market:

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

And for Huntington Meats:

http://huntingtonmeats.com/

I'd call ahead and make sure they have it, or even have them reserve one for you. I also notice they ship anywhere...for those of you not in the LA area.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
JD McGee

Outstanding! Excellent post...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Man, that is good!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
gtr

Looks fantastic - another great post!

I like that butcher - that's where I've been getting my briskets (they're not Snake River Farms but they're good). They also have good boneless pork butt for sausage & the other butcher in the market has good bone-in pork butts.

If you like to eat food that will kill you (and I do sometimes) the donut shop there has amazing apple fritters.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote