MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Nothing but the Best! Super Job, Bill

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #32
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Quite a bang up party, way to go!

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #33
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bill what a great documentary of an awesome event. Everyone looks really happy. Well done! I'm also glad to see that your WSM fire door handle is surviving. Gotta love Bullet Bill!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #34
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

That looked fantastic the tribe looks happy, is that a paper poster,? I priced a Vinyl one then fell over with the freight.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #35
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Everything looks incredible. The cook, the pics, the whole thing. If it hasn't already happened, one more of those cooks, and you will reach a legendary status. Great job sir!

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #36
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
That looked fantastic the tribe looks happy, is that a paper poster,? I priced a Vinyl one then fell over with the freight.
Hi Titch, It's printed on Polypropelene on my wide format printer. It's here I have to be real careful about copyright however. I printed this off for myself, just for this event which was not commercial in nature.

I'm pretty sure I would get my butt kicked if I was to start printing this off commercially as I would be infringing Phils trademark, and he's pretty strict about it.

Now, the file I used for the print was an extremely low resolution file, that I obtained from this site... as I do not have, not can I get access to the proper print ready files that Phil only gives to approved producers of items containing the BBQ brethren logo.

SO, I thought I might have been on thin ice printing this one poster, but also was hoping that for this little event, it would be seen as a positive thing.... But don't ask me to print another one....

Sorry...
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #37
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Outstanding job Bill & crew!!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #38
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBourbonBear View Post
You mentioned having to tone down the sweetness of the pie for Aussie tastes. Do you put a sweet sauce/bark on the pork or do you have to tone that down a little too?

Everything looks great. I know what it takes to cook for that many people so anybody that can pull it off as well as it looked like you did gets a pat on the back from me
I cooked 4 different beans recipes from USA, and all 4 got the eaters freaking out and saying it was a dessert.

I learned, and my bean recipes this last year have contained NO sugar(or syrup etc) or just a smidge if acidic and have been raved about.
It also makes me think the opposite may be a problem, if I cooked my chili or beans recipes over there I may be getting dirty looks?

We note not only in BBQ but in cooking in general, American recipes use buckets of sugar compared to our tastes, and since sugar is a flavour masker that becomes a real issue with the expectations of the eaters.
Different cultures is all.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #39
SmokinAussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBourbonBear View Post
You mentioned having to tone down the sweetness of the pie for Aussie tastes. Do you put a sweet sauce/bark on the pork or do you have to tone that down a little too?

Everything looks great. I know what it takes to cook for that many people so anybody that can pull it off as well as it looked like you did gets a pat on the back from me
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes, what Buccs says is 100% accurate. With the Key Lime Pie, we road tested it the week before. (I also road tested a Pork Shoulder). We went to USA foods and bought a Graham Cracker Pie Base and then followed the recipe. First of all the pie base was so sweet as to be sickly and the lime filling was very much the same. With a lime filling, we'd expect to have it taste very tart. So, we made out own pie base from Granita Biscuits, which as the closest local thing to the Graham Crackers and added no sugar at all. Then we HALVED the Sweetened Condensed Milk content, meaning a lot more lime juice and eggs were required. So we actually used real fresh limes from my Mums lime tree to add to the stuff that Bluetang sent me. That meant more tartness and richness without the sugar hit.

As for the pulled pork, yes I did glaze with a very small amount of Myron Myxons Pork Shoulder Glaze recipe, but not too much. I just brushed it on once and that was enough. So, the pork was served "savory" not sweet. I supplied a sweet and tangy sauce on the table if anyone wanted to pump in the sweetness... made from Peach Preserves and a bucket load of light corn syrup.. Nobody really wanted it. It sure tasted good though.

Cheers!

Bill

Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #40
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Excellent outing there... wish I was there.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
PatAttack

Way to go, Bill!!!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Outstanding Bill. I know that's a heck of a lot of work. Looks like it was a smashing success!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #43
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes, what Buccs says is 100% accurate. With the Key Lime Pie, we road tested it the week before. (I also road tested a Pork Shoulder). We went to USA foods and bought a Graham Cracker Pie Base and then followed the recipe. First of all the pie base was so sweet as to be sickly and the lime filling was very much the same. With a lime filling, we'd expect to have it taste very tart. So, we made out own pie base from Granita Biscuits, which as the closest local thing to the Graham Crackers and added no sugar at all. Then we HALVED the Sweetened Condensed Milk content, meaning a lot more lime juice and eggs were required. So we actually used real fresh limes from my Mums lime tree to add to the stuff that Bluetang sent me. That meant more tartness and richness without the sugar hit.

As for the pulled pork, yes I did glaze with a very small amount of Myron Myxons Pork Shoulder Glaze recipe, but not too much. I just brushed it on once and that was enough. So, the pork was served "savory" not sweet. I supplied a sweet and tangy sauce on the table if anyone wanted to pump in the sweetness... made from Peach Preserves and a bucket load of light corn syrup.. Nobody really wanted it. It sure tasted good though.

Cheers!

Bill
You champ!

Thanks a mill for posting that innovation, genius!!!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #44
SmokinAussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
You champ!

Thanks a mill for posting that innovation, genius!!!
You are taking the p!ss right?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #45
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

the only appropriate response I can think of is a true southern(USA) compliment----"Ya dun good!"
mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote