MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Does anyone have a copy of the NSF ANSI 2 pdf?

I am researching the whole non NSF rated smoker discussion and was wondering if anyone has a copy of the 2010 version of the NSF/ANSI 2 pdf? I don't really want to pop for 105 bucks to ready what I suspect is about two paragraphs of material on meeting a standard.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

TTT - Anyone?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

What were you trying to determine?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

The problem with finding ANSI publications on the web is that you don't own them, they only sell you a licence and the person that it is licensed to is watermarked on each page of the document. I have several but not the one you are looking for.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I am wondering how they handle non electrical style cookers. Ie wood/charcoal based cookers and what the ANSI based regs state specifically. I would like to know before talking with my local health officials. I always like to know the code before someone just looks at you and says yep or nope that's acceptable or not.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I think I would check your state code. The NSF and ANSI are just standards. If they are part of the code they should be available for free. Does your state code say you have to use certified equipment? I have had the inspector in twice and he has not said anything about the equipment I am using to cook. Last time he was in he didn't even look at my smoker or the area where I have my smoker. You might want to check fire codes and see what they require.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Jeff Therrell
Knows what a fatty is.

I just got back from the health dept. today the new code in NC says that the smoker has to be NSF certified. I just finished my cooker, I had about $2500 just in material and 2 weeks labor in it. Now I have to go spend $10,000 on a smoker that won't be as good as the one I built. I'm going to apply for a variance, but they probably still won't let me use it.
Thanks, Jeff
Jeff Therrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Therrell View Post
I just got back from the health dept. today the new code in NC says that the smoker has to be NSF certified. I just finished my cooker, I had about $2500 just in material and 2 weeks labor in it. Now I have to go spend $10,000 on a smoker that won't be as good as the one I built. I'm going to apply for a variance, but they probably still won't let me use it.
Thanks, Jeff
so are they gonna grandfather in all the older restaurants that don't have nsf smokers? think about all the old school bbq joints that run brick and mortar wood burners. Lexington will have a hard time with this i believe.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

In NC the existing restaurants are grandfathered in. If something happens to the building and/or smoker and has to rebuild, the new one has to be NSF.

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Therrell View Post
Thanks, Jeff
Check regs before you buy or build next time
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been working on NSF certification for awhile now. Not easy getting all the details to remain in place without spending wads of cash. But that's true in any business venture. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
theoriginalmyke
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

How do you go about getting a NSF certification?
theoriginalmyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginalmyke View Post
How do you go about getting a NSF certification?
My guess would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote