• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

brisket questions

capri man

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
my wife just came home with a whole 8 1/2 lb brisket. what do i do now???:-D
i have never messed with one before. it is thick on one end and kinda thin on the other half. i guess maybe that is the flat? should i try to smoke it whole or cut in two pieces? it was $1.75 per lb, (half price) i guess she thought it was a deal.

That is a deal. I would grind it up and make burgers out of it.

Or, you could trim off any excessive fat and then rub it. I would say a real simple salt and pepper rub with a little of your pork rub added in. Then set up the smoker for 270F to 300F and smoke it offset, allow 5 to 6 hours. Make some salad, maybe some corn and beans and enjoy. There are all those hot and fast brisket posts of late, I think Wheelterrapin had a great post on it recently.

Native Texan in Atlanta that knows that most people in GA are afraid of Brisket and are really unsure of it. Just cut the major fat off of it and pretend its a butterflied boneless pork butt. $1.75 is cheap in GA. When I lived in Houston, stores would do $.59 as a loss leader. I just paid $2.29 at Walmart today.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good price, if you have doubts about cooking it send it down here.

Really though what landarc said.

Wait, your wife bought you a brisket AND she got it at a good price? You sir are a lucky man. :clap2:

As far as preparation and cooking it are concerned, Bigabyte's thread is exceptional.

Yea, Big Al pointed out the real meat in this story. You don't see those qualities on dating sites!

I just got one here in the Houston area for .99 per lb.
Reg price is around $1.99 per lb.
So - yes...you can still get brisket fairly cheap here in good ole H-town.

If'n it were MY brisket - I'd trim off the fat (leave about 1/8" of fat) slather some rub on it and put it on the smoker (225-240*) for about 7-8 hours. Then when the temp reaches 190* internal pull it off wrap in heavy foil and stick it in a cooler wrapped in a blanket/towels for a couple hours to rest. Then slice and serve (or chop and serve).

Back