MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default Brined Chicken Breasts

Finally took time to get in a little chicken practice this weekend. Practice round was an awesome success. Juicier chicken than I've ever made by any method including frying!

Brine was simple, 2qts water, 6 tbsp ea- Kosher salt (use 3 of table salt if you don't have kosher on hand) and brown sugar. I added 1Tbsp ea- garlic powder and onion powder for flavor (I'll be experimenting further with the flavors). Brined for 1 hour and 5-10 mins. Patted dry and used Tony C's for a rub.

Cooking technique was provided by Jim Minion. Thanks Jim, worked like a dream, even where I screwed up.

Cooked @ 250-275 with cherry and sasafrass. Jim suggested pulling @ 157 and not allowing to exceed 165. Well... I got distracted by friends dropping by and didn't get back to my chicken until they were well past that. The 5 split breasts I had ranged from 170-185 internal when I got them out. Even the donest one was very juicy and flavorful. Best chicken I ever made.
If you haven't brined a boobie, ya gotta try this.

Jim thanks again and please feel free to elaborate on the instructions.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Three word.

Brining Is Better! Unless i didnt plan ahead... I always brine birds... parts, breasts or whole. Learned early on that brining will always produce a better product. For anyone interested.... here is a post that gives the scientific reasoning behind brining. Osmosis, expansion of cells, higher salinity outside than inside cause the meat to draw in the moisture.. all that boring stuff, but if you ointerested in the science behind it, here it is..
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/modu...yes&id_cat=2#5

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Excellent info KC!!! I wouldn't mind this getting added to the Roadmap!
Make it easier to find next spring come competition time.
Thanks KC!! Thanks JM!!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 07:56 PM   #4
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

No brine

Tony C's Jalepeno Butter injection marinade.

Try it

You'll like it.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

KC

Brinning adds protection and flavor two good conditions. One thing to consider before you brine, that the chicken is NOT solution added. Solution added birds are not a good choice cause I want to decide what's added.

The fact that something happens during the cook and you got these results says a lot about the science.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

http://www.cookshack.com/barbeque_gu...Brining101.htm

This may be the same info as Phil linked to, but it's good basics on brines and brining anyway.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote