Royal Oak Performer Question

grillnputt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I use Royal Oak hardwood on a weber performer. Whether I am cooking steaks, burgers or wings, I get tailpipe thick smoke throughout the entire cook. When I raise the lid, I can't even see the food. Anyone else have this? Any suggestions? I clean the grates after every cook.

Been using RO and other lump in my Performer for years and never had a problem. Unusual issue you have going on. Try a full burnout...get it raging hot without cooking anything and let it smoke until it smokes no longer.

I agree with Erik's advice, burn it out.

I'm a gasser, but now and then I just take it to cremation, open it up and let it burn out.
The next day I use my shop vac to take out the burned out chunks.

If there is anything in your grill causing the smoke the burnout will get rid of it.

I did a burnout of all of my BBQ equipment this spring because of mold growth caused by last years “rainiest year in recorded history”. After the burnout I was surprised that the inside of the kettle and two WSMs were so clean that they looked brand new, grates and all. Chris

Another thought. Could be your ash catcher needs a thorough cleaning.

Could be wet wood. Could be the fire needs more air at the start. It's never getting a good run at the beginning so it goes dirty. I stopped using Royal Oak a bit ago because of issues with burn etc. Moved to using Jealous Devil now. Good luck tweaking it. Let us know when you find a solution so we can all learn. Happy Smokin'

Back