Stoker or DigiQ II?

Keller Steeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am considering getting one for my Spicewine. I used to use the Competitor Guru on my WSM and was pretty happy with it. I have no plans on hooking it up to a laptop or running multiple cookers. Which one would you or did you get?

I know there are a lot more Stoker users because the DigiQ was made in response to the Stoker.

Also, would I really need the 25CFM fan on a large SW? I had the 10 CFM fan and I had to really choke it down for the WSM.

Thanks

I have not used a DigiQ so I cannot compare them. I really like my Stoker though. From what I have read that ramp feature on the Guru is nice. If it works like they say I would love to have that feature.

So if you have the 10CFM fan for the Webber, Why dont you just order a recepticle for the Spice. Im sure your not using them at the same time.

I ordered a DigiQ2 for my Large, first smoke with it will be tomorrow,

If you can wait Ill post results in a day or two.

So if you have the 10CFM fan for the Webber, Why dont you just order a recepticle for the Spice. Im sure your not using them at the same time.

When I bought my Stumps I loaned/gave my Competitor and fan to my Dad who uses a WSM - I do not really want to ask for it back.

I ordered a DigiQ2 for my Large, first smoke with it will be tomorrow,

If you can wait Ill post results in a day or two.

Was that for a large Kamodo (your avatar) or a large Spicewine. If it is a SW, what fan did you get?

I can wait and am looking forward to posts - thanks.

Was that for a large Kamodo (your avatar) or a large Spicewine. If it is a SW, what fan did you get?

I can wait and am looking forward to posts - thanks.

The avatar is a pic of my next purchase.

I have a Large Spicewine. People at Guru recommended the 25cfm unit, which I bought.

The avatar is a pic of my next purchase.

I have a Large Spicewine. People at Guru recommended the 25cfm unit, which I bought.

That is what they told me, so I am curious how it is going to work. My old 10 CFM put out a lot of air.

I'm using a 4cfm on my BWS Fatboy. Works great. I prefer it over the 10cfm I was using. Go with the Stoker even if you don't think you are going to operate more than one cooker or use the network capabilities. You have those capabilities if you change your mind in the future. The guru products I have owned are not as rugged as the Stoker.

I have both the stoker on my lang and the Guru for the Backwoods. The Guru has the ramp mode and the open door mode which is better suited for cabinet smokers.You will be happy with which ever one you choose

I have both the stoker on my lang and the Guru for the Backwoods. The Guru has the ramp mode and the open door mode which is better suited for cabinet smokers.You will be happy with which ever one you choose

I did like the ramp mode on my competitor which is why I am leaning that way. I just do not know much on the DigiQ other than what I have read on the Naked Whiz and a few posts. Thanks.

I got a DigiQ with the 10 CFM fan for christmas. I have used it twice now on my GF 223. It seems to be doing a pretty good job.

I use the 25 CFM with a DigiQ on my medium Spicewine. Much rather have the option of choking down the airflow than not having enough.

I have a Digi-Q with a 10CFM fan on my Stumps GF223 and I run it choked down to about 1/4 or less open when cooking at 225. The Digi-Q ramp feature and open door cutout were the reasons I went with Guru. I don't want or have time to sit in front of my computer looking at the temp readout when I can look out the patio door on the way to the fridge for a cold one.

I have a Digi-Q with a 10CFM fan on my Stumps GF223 and I run it choked down to about 1/4 or less open when cooking at 225. The Digi-Q ramp feature and open door cutout were the reasons I went with Guru. I don't want or have time to sit in front of my computer looking at the temp readout when I can look out the patio door on the way to the fridge for a cold one.

Is the Stumps GF223 comparable in size to a large Spicewine?
Dave

Is the Stumps GF223 comparable in size to a large Spicewine?
Dave

The GF223 has 5 shelves that are 20x20 (I think). My SW has 4 shelves that are 34 X 25. I could not fit a full size steam table pan on my GF223, but I can fit two per shelf with room leftover on my SW. The SW is definately larger, which is why I bought it.

The GF223 has 5 shelves that are 20x20 (I think). My SW has 4 shelves that are 34 X 25. I could not fit a full size steam table pan on my GF223, but I can fit two per shelf with room leftover on my SW. The SW is definately larger, which is why I bought it.

Thanks, the reason I ask is I have a lg sw and a competitor guru with a 10cfm that I have not installed as yet. It looks like from what I have read on this thread, the 10cfm should do the job.
Dave

Thanks, the reason I ask is I have a lg sw and a competitor guru with a 10cfm that I have not installed as yet. It looks like from what I have read on this thread, the 10cfm should do the job.
Dave

That is what I am thinking also. I don't mind buying the 25cfm, but why spend the money if I do not need to.

Do you have any plans installing it in the near future and taking it on a few test runs?

That is what I am thinking also. I don't mind buying the 25cfm, but why spend the money if I do not need to.

Do you have any plans installing it in the near future and taking it on a few test runs?

That is my plan but I still think I need to make my sw a little more air tight before I install it. On the other hand it may be ok as is and I should just go ahead and install the darn thing and see what happens, decisions, decisions.:roll: Dave

OK, got the SW going for about an hour so far.

First, I'm using no water in the pan.

I made a mistake by getting the initial fire to hot, the temp ran up to about 260...so I closed the vents down to 1/2 turn open each. The pit temp was set for 225.

After 1/2 an hour or so the temp went down to 225 and has been holding there for an hour.
I added a couple of fatties(my first ones).
One Jimmy Dean one Bob Evans...both have cream cheese, poblano peppers, gouda cheese and some ham I smoked.

The ramp feature worked well and did not blow continuous but it took a bit to get from 205 to 225.

fyi...having 25 cfm is nice if only for holding it with damper fully open and stoking the fire for initial temp.

Also, I have done Nothing extra trying to make my SW airtight.....it's as it came from Jay.

It holding again at 224-227 all looks well.
I have the blower damper opened so only one slot shows on the etching on damper.

Back