MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
waywardtravel
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Help! Building a rig but behind the ball so reading away

Greetings, This is a long read but I'm trying to put you in my situation. I've smoked most of my 44 years but never vending. I sold some fish no doubt in the northwest. I'm currently in the country of Panama. A fair US and Canadian presence then local and worldwide presence due to the Panama canal.

I kick started this by buying a used Pitmaker chest. A guy imported it then bought automated systems so it sat.

Then I decided I needed a trailer because of the location I live and where I want to smoke. All of a sudden after 2 months reading and looking at Q trailers I just couldn't build a small trailer. So now she's 30 ft overall including a large V nose. I'm a Boat captain and Marine engineer by trade but just means I do a lot of mechanical electrical kinda stuff and love to fish.

Now the plans are to start vending in a semi permanent location very close to my shop and house. I expect to do maybe 3 days a week to start so I don't put myself in a bind with lacking intelligence and experience. I'm hoping to do Pulled pork sandwiches, potatoes different ways, beans if they like them in these parts, Briskets and ribs on more advertised event nights with a shin dig band or similar, Fajitas using various meats, sausage in a few forms figuring out what is preferred, etc evolve what they like. Oh and of course fish when buddies can supply hundreds of pounds. I usually do a 50-50 split on those.

I also do beef jerky (No curing salt kind) and sell that but it's eaten well before expiration. More of a word of mouth thing right now but sells like crazy just expensive to make after yield and my meat costs. It will bring them in though in these parts.

I have the trailer set up now for 12 ft interior with a small v nose for trip sink. Then a Q deck about 11 and a half ft. It will be 7'7 inside width and at least 7 1/2 ft ceilings. It rains tropical ugly here for short periods of time. I plan a full swing up 22ft by 7 ft roof on the vending side. I'm skinning it with alucobond 6 mm sheets exterior then plastic then stainless inside insulated of course. I will eventually have AC, Generator, Propane for firing steamers and such.

We don't have many decent woods here for smoking, so a full wood fired rig is difficult. NANCE is the go to local smoke wood but it rivals alder. The Pitmaker works really well with the Lump I've been able to find and imported smoke woods. Usually chips unfortunately but they work with some maintenance.

Meats and produce will normally be delivered. I have a shop/apartment 1/4 mile away that I can use to hold stock and possibly place a large cooker for the overnights but I would rather do those on site for security of the trailer. Maybe just holding at the shop or re-heating. I really don't know the demand yet but trying to cover my bases. I plan to build everything. I don't yet know how to build a vapor and temp controlled holding oven but I'm sure I can read and tinker until it works well.

I plan to build a big smoker to go across from the pitmaker. Somewhere around 7ft tall by 2 1/2 deep by about 6 to 8 ft long. Possibly offset for griddle purpose but not designed yet. Also possible warming cabinet integrated.
Diamond plate decks and stainless / diamond plate accents around the black trailer.

Oh yeah, I expect to also build a decent size direct heat grill for burgers, dog's, glazing, etc. back corner I hope but figuring out floorplan still. There is already bicycle powered venders doing shave ice and dog's. I don't want to cause a stir with them so no dog's actually.

If your still reading I'm looking for seasoned advice before I finish the build.
Any criticism is great to me. I need this unit to be versatile to adapt to what is preferred.

Any pointers on capacity, warming, layout and big efficient smoker type's or recommendations is great. Or anything.

On location physical presence on a nice weekend day is well over 3000. A couple retaurants somewhat nearby that are very hard to park at and meager food. I painfully eat at one because it's my watering hole. I will be situated across the street from a 400 car parking lot that hosts car shows and different events most weekends then a large soccer field with bleechers kiddy corner and a 400 room hotel on the other corner. BIG weekends could easily have 10k. They do Iron man races, big 5k 10k runs, bike races, concerts, etc etc all very nearby and this parking lot is the beginning of the road only way in and out.

The health regs seem manageable at this point. This is a grease part of the world. It doesn't matter if you build everything 1000% overkill your going to be "taxed" I sometimes keep brand new childrens new boxed shoes in my truck for the "taxing" pull overs or road blocks. They are cheaper. lol

And the little lady is from Houston so I'm kept to some standard of what she believes is proper BBQ. We don't always agree so the kids get votes. Luckily I can veto the kids sometimes because their taste buds have not developed as fast as their mouths have. I'll admit I will start with her slaw. I've never been good at veggies unless it's potato based with butter, bacon and cheese.

Now tell me how dumb I am and please tell me when I'm doing something stupid. Here is the rig to date or close. It's 6 inch square tube frame which should be strong enough to whatever it turns into. I expect to upgrade the measly 3,500lb axles and use those for 2 smaller trailers.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think I've settled on this logo.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by waywardtravel; 07-29-2016 at 10:26 AM..
waywardtravel is offline   Reply With Quote