MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #736
fatguyputter
On the road to being a farker

I've scanned through the majority of the 49 pages of this thread--AWESOME STUFF! Doing my first smoked turkey this year for T-Giving. I have an enhanced bird, so I am skipping the brining phase (more cuz I'm lazy) and am going to inject with Creole Butter as my family loves that stuff in our fried birds. Will be working on a large WSM and plan on cooking with cherry/pecan/apple mix of wood as hot as I can get my WSM--prolly bout 325-335. I plan to rinse 12 lbs bird on Wed even and place in frig to dehydrate overnight. Will get up in morn and inject bird, rub down with butter mixture both under and on top of skin, and then rub with some Tony Chachere's and let come to room temp while smoker is started and clearing the smoke up.

A couple questions:

1. Should I put the bird directly on grate or put it on rack in pan? Advantages to each?
Will on way or the other help crisp the skin better? Will either help moisture of the bird?
I don't need any drippings as my wife is doing a traditional one in the oven and will make gravy with that.

2. When should I inject the bird to promote the best chance for crispier skin? The night before I put it in the frig for dehydrating? Or the morning after dehydrating? Obviously, there is some leaking effect from the punctures in the bird. If I inject in morn, I will obviously pat dry the bird with paper towels after, and then butter and rub. Thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time for you input!
fatguyputter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #737
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

The bird directly on grate will help crisp the skin better.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #738
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Two birds brined with Harvest Brine and into the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap and foil. Right side bird is a Shady Brook Farms enhanced 9% bird, #13.5lbs. Left side bird is a Butterball Fresh enhanced 4% bird, 11lbs. Picture is before the brine, fyi.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #739
kfdvm
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the great post.
kfdvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #740
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Did my Harvest brine tonight as well on my 13.85lb Publix Greenwise Turkey. I like the GW chicken so hopefully the turkey is good. No issues applying the dry brine. My bird still had a little ice stuck to the skin so some moisture for the rub to adhere but i took my time and patted it down. I did not put any on the breast meat directly. Not sure if i was supposed to or not so hopefully it'll work just fine. My wife helped me with the plastic wrap. Leaning towards spatch cocking but i have a couple days to decide.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #741
scribe9154
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Any suggestions on temp and time for a spatchcocked bird? I have a 20lb in the fridge with harvest brine. Trying to figure out timing for this year. Appreciate all suggestions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
scribe9154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #742
fatguyputter
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
The bird directly on grate will help crisp the skin better.
Thanks dadsr!
fatguyputter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #743
dadsr4

Found this interesting, since there is a debate about brining an "enhanced" bird. I picked up a Honeysuckle White frozen whole turkey cheap, and for the heck of it looked it up. It said "contains 9.5% turkey broth, salt, sugar, natural flavoring" on the label. On the web site I found "Natural flavoring is celery and rosemary extract that is used in the brine" Brine, it says it right there. 5 percent salt by weight is what I have used in the past when brining fresh poultry.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #744
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Let's get this turkey to the TOP!!!

Old 11-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #745
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Turkey time boys and girls!! [emoji884][emoji884]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #746
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

The most wonderful time of the year!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #747
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I see the last post before I dug this up is from dadsr4....RIP friend - I'll put a touch of pumpkin pie spice in my turkey rub for you this year, friend!

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #748
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

RIP?

EDIT: I just found it.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=274417
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #749
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Thinking about trying this harvest brine that everyone is talking about. So is this just a brine? And i can still use rub after brining the turkey? Or is this also the rub and i would not be rinsing it or applying additional rub to the turkey?

Old 11-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #750
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
Thinking about trying this harvest brine that everyone is talking about. So is this just a brine? And i can still use rub after brining the turkey? Or is this also the rub and i would not be rinsing it or applying additional rub to the turkey?

It is a lightly flavored (Apple, Maple & Sage) dry brine.
You can add (low salt) rub after brining, or you can just smoke as is.
There is no need to rinse after the brine.
You can go straight to smoke if you wish