Ash on food in a kettle

I have seen ash on my food in the kettle but its minute. What you describe seems different. Also I have seen kettle and WSM lids hold a thin layer of soot and drop it during the cook.

You mention being careful not to create an updraft and pull the ash up. What you also need to be careful of, and why they say to open the top vent all the way, is placing the lid back down. Even with the vent fully open you could cause ash to stir and since hot ash if friable it floats upward to your food. I have this issue when cooking burgers and only using the lid to stifle my fire as I run it at the limit of control.

Another issue is starting the fuel in the kettle. Most times this isn't an issue but you mentioned excess black ash from your fuel. I will take a guess that you poured the unlit coals into the cooker not into a chimney outside the cooker. You deposited the black ash on the bottom of the kettle. This both produces excess friable ash and also offers the possibility of being far enough from the heat to burn off quickly. So it smolders like briquettes do in the beginning before they get hot. Since the ash may not get hot enough your whole cook has that white smoke.

Try to make sure you don't have black ends on your coals or half lit coals. The meat will cool the fire and those portions won't burn out as cleanly as they would without food on there.

I find I get some ash, especially on the WSM, when I bump the grill or take the lid off too fast (creating a vacuum). A cloud of ash seems to float around inside giving everything a thin coating. Just gotta be careful.

I have seen ash on my food in the kettle but its minute. What you describe seems different. Also I have seen kettle and WSM lids hold a thin layer of soot and drop it during the cook.

You mention being careful not to create an updraft and pull the ash up. What you also need to be careful of, and why they say to open the top vent all the way, is placing the lid back down. Even with the vent fully open you could cause ash to stir and since hot ash if friable it floats upward to your food. I have this issue when cooking burgers and only using the lid to stifle my fire as I run it at the limit of control.

Another issue is starting the fuel in the kettle. Most times this isn't an issue but you mentioned excess black ash from your fuel. I will take a guess that you poured the unlit coals into the cooker not into a chimney outside the cooker. You deposited the black ash on the bottom of the kettle. This both produces excess friable ash and also offers the possibility of being far enough from the heat to burn off quickly. So it smolders like briquettes do in the beginning before they get hot. Since the ash may not get hot enough your whole cook has that white smoke.

Try to make sure you don't have black ends on your coals or half lit coals. The meat will cool the fire and those portions won't burn out as cleanly as they would without food on there.

Good observations Skip.....

It "seems" more like soot that's created during the ongoing burn rather than ash picked up by stirring or bumping or the suction of removing / replacing the lid.....

I've goofed up in one way or another & had all of these things happen & think it's just extra noticeable on something like sausage because of the film of oil that develops when cooking.......

Couple times I remember, putting on a load of JVilles or the like, doing other things, coming back to fine black tiny speckles all over the food.....most likely in my case it was not getting the coals completely up & moving & good airflow first (& trying to do ten things at once, a habit)

Another issue is starting the fuel in the kettle. Most times this isn't an issue but you mentioned excess black ash from your fuel. I will take a guess that you poured the unlit coals into the cooker not into a chimney outside the cooker.

This is true. It never occurred to me to not do so. And I still can't say I quite understand it. So, my next question has to be, how did you all learn? Really. Didn't know what I don't know until pretty darn recently and thanks to good people on this site. I'm getting the feeling friends and family have been much too kind to me. Heck, even the brats were good yesterday, after a bit of a rinse. Is there a Charcoal for Dummies book?

Thanks to all. Lots to try - differently. Already made major progress with my long cooks thanks to lurking here.

"So, my next question has to be, how did you all learn? "

Mostly by doing.....been running kettles since late 70's / early 80's.....much more in the last 15~20 years........by reading forums & asking questions & watching the way people went about their craft & practicing my versions of those things I saw & thinking outside the box even if people were screaming "You can't do that !!!!"

Play with it, write down some notes on what happened, play some more.....notice what happens when you change something & try to make only one, maybe two changes at a time so you can tell what effect it having & play some more.....

Back