anybody try this lump before

superlazy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Saw this today a restaurant supply store today. IIRC 35lbs for $18
lump_zps0062e0c8.jpg

I have and no problems. I have a hard time finding it around here.

I've seen it at BJs but haven't tried it as I'm still stocked from the Cowboy sale earlier this summer.

Good stuff. Frontier had a few un-carbonized pieces, but not too many. Just a hand full of small rocks per bag(no sheet).

My local supplier ran out, so now I have Royal Oaks's brand NATURE-GLO 40 pound bags of premium lump. Those cost $25/bag plus I had to pay +$100 to ship from L.A. to S.D.

Just got and anxious to open and try one.

I bought two bags at BJ's last week for $16.00 a bag. First use was for a hot and fast brisket. Seems fine, although there did seem to be more smaller pieces than with Royal Oak.
All in all, 64 lbs for $32 is hard to beat...

I got a bag once. I did like I do with every new lump I get and start a small amount in a chimney so I know it's aroma before I cook with it. I couldn't even be outside with this burning, the smell was so bad and strong.

Others here seem to like it, but it wasn't for me at all. I threw the whole bag away.

I got a bag once. I did like I do with every new lump I get and start a small amount in a chimney so I know it's aroma before I cook with it. I couldn't even be outside with this burning, the smell was so bad and strong.

Others here seem to like it, but it wasn't for me at all. I threw the whole bag away.

WOW... that was my reaction when I tried mesquite.

WOW... that was my reaction when I tried mesquite.

The bag I had popped a LOT and was made in Mexico, so it could very well have had a lot of mesquite in it. The smell was pungent and not the smell I'm used to in charcoal. The good thing I'll say about it was it was super dense like WGWW and had some trunks for pieces, they were huge.

It was asked what favorite brands of lump are. Mine are:

The Good One (my absolute favorite)
Kamado Joe
Vision
Big Green Egg
Primo
Royal Oak

1) The bag I had popped a LOT
2) and was made in Mexico
3) The smell was pungent and not the smell I'm used to in charcoal.

DING DING DING....sounds like you scored some mesquite! Not much other hardwood lump comes from south of the border. Might wanna try the Natural hardwood lump, like the OP said, works nice!

Back