Back to the old grind?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Ok I have been looking a grinders electric and manual and as usual one question leads to many more but I will only ask one multiple question.

When looking at grinders they sometimes state it as a #5, #10, #22 or #32. Can anyone tell me what that signifies? and if I buy say a #22 of a certain brand can I then buy blades or the different size grinding disk from other manufactures as long as it is the same #, I assume stainless steal is better than steal.
Dave

The number denotes the size or diameter of the plate. The 5 being the smallest and the 32 being the largest. You can buy plates of the right size (5-32) from anyone that has them. Same goes for the blades. I started with a cheapo 10 electric and it didnt take long for me to go to a 32 manual. Alot of the manuals you can convert over to electric by adding a wheel and small elctric motor. And yes, stainless is better.

The number denotes the size or diameter of the plate. The 5 being the smallest and the 32 being the largest. You can buy plates of the right size (5-32) from anyone that has them. Same goes for the blades. I started with a cheapo 10 electric and it didnt take long for me to go to a 32 manual. Alot of the manuals you can convert over to electric by adding a wheel and small elctric motor. And yes, stainless is better.

Thats kind of my current plan to go with the manual for now. Next question I need a good source for casings and and maybe a recommendation for a good how to book.
Dave

Well here is a good book for you.

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Ciring by Rytek Kutas. I realy like him

Well Dave,

I'm in the opposite boat right now, I currently have a manual, and after doing 15lbs of pork today for Kielbasa, I'm looking for electric. One thing to note is that the cheaper manuals on the market today have teflon bushings so converting them to electric will make short work of them. If you can keep the RPM's down with pulley size then they may work for quite some time, but who knows. If I keep going with the manual I'm going to have a popeye right arm, and an olive oil left arm :mrgreen:.

Well Dave,

I'm in the opposite boat right now, I currently have a manual, and after doing 15lbs of pork today for Kielbasa, I'm looking for electric. One thing to note is that the cheaper manuals on the market today have teflon bushings so converting them to electric will make short work of them. If you can keep the RPM's down with pulley size then they may work for quite some time, but who knows. If I keep going with the manual I'm going to have a popeye right arm, and an olive oil left arm :mrgreen:.

Keep grinding and before long you can switch hands and not miss a stroke. :lol:

I would call Harter House or a butcher shop first. Also there are a zillion recipes online. Google is your friend.

Back