My Easter Brisket

PigskinBarbeque

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
brisket-slice.png

For Easter dinner I was going to cook a Boston Butt, but my lovely wife thought it was a regular roast and cook it on that Thursday, so I had to make a change in plans and decided to do an Easter Sunday Beef Brisket. I was in luck as the butcher had just received a fresh load of whole brisket’s.

THE MEAT:

fresh-brisket.png

INJECTION/MARINADE:
– 2 Cans (14.5oz) Swanson’s Beef Broth
– 1/4 Cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
– 1 Tsp Onion Powder
– 1 Tsp Garlic Powder

In a small pot bring Beef Broth and Worcestershire sauce to a boil. Add garlic and onion powder, whisk and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow concoction to cool to room temperature. In a large aluminum pan, big enough for your brisket, lay it fat side down and inject the solution into the meat every 1 to 2 inches until you have covered the entire piece of meat. Once complete, turn meat over so the fat side is facing up and pour the remaining solution over the brisket. Cover and place in fridge for 4 to 6 hours.

brisket-marinade.png

RUB:
– 2 Tbsp Course Black Pepper
– 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
– 1 Tsp Sugar
– 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
– 1 Tsp Onion Powder
– 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
– 1/2 Tsp Ancho Chili Seasoning
Combine all ingredients and mix well

Remove brisket from marinade and pat dry, discard marinade. The rub recipe will make about 1/4 cup of seasoning, this is enough to cover both sides of the brisket. If you get a full brisket, do not place any seasoning in the flap of meat where the Point overlaps the Flat. I also placed a light coating of Pigskin Barbeque Running Back Rub to the fat cap side of the brisket. After seasoning, I placed the brisket in a clean pan and returned it to fridge for 4 to 6 more hours.

brisket-rub-1.png

brisket-rub-2.png

THE COOK:
For this cook I used Cowboy Lump Charcoal, because of the long cook time and the small amount of ash it creates with me using so much charcoal. I also like lump charcoal because I prefer not to use lighter fluid and lump charcoal will fire up with a chimney starter and a couple of pages of newspaper. For my smoke flavoring I used 2 chunks of Mesquite and a nice log of Hickory. I brought my smoker up to 225 degrees and kept it there throughout the 9.5hr cook.

I like to remove my brisket from the fridge and allow it to sit in the pan uncovered for 30 minutes before cooking. I never cook any beef on the grill, taking it from the fridge straight to the grill. For the first 2.5 hours I cooked the brisket straight on the grill. After 2.5 hours I placed the brisket in a clean pan and covered it with heavy foil, sure to seal it tight so it doesn’t leak.

Once the brisket was complete, I separated the flat from the point. The flat, I wrapped it in a double layer of foil, then 4 towels and placed in a cooler. The point, I cubed, placed in a small pan, tossed it with a little sweet barbeque sauce and placed it back on the grill for another hour and half. After that time I gave some to the family to snack on. I covered the remaining pieces in foil and placed in the cooler with the flat.

After 2 hours I removed the Flat and the burnt ends, sliced the Flat and dinner was served.

brisket-grill.png

cooked-brisket.png

burnt-ends.png

brisket-slice.png

Back