MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Discussion and Reflection > Our Fallen Brother

Notices

Our Fallen Brother Brethren. The threads in this forum are in memory of a fallen brother. Please read what has transpired the week of 9/3/06 and say a prayer for KCquer and his family.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #46
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samichlaus
The Brethren has suffered a loss in the death of one of its most distinguished members. To Scott's Family, you have my heart-felt sympathy for the loss of your husband/father/grand-dad. May you find peace with time.
Sami, Those are the words i was looking for all day...

"One of our most distinguished members. "

I have spent today an emotional wreck, as i am sure others here have.. and.. yes..KC is one of our most distinguished members. Most often first out of the gate to help the new guys.. he exemplified what we are all about, family, friends, brothers.. helping and encouraging members..wheather they be in the backyard, or under the competition tent, he never once waned in our goals. Just last week, he reminded me of a post from 3 years ago.. he dug it up and showed me that we are becoming exactly as planned back then.... and he was proud to be a part of it. The times when i was ready to throw in the towel, he would put me back on track and point out whats important. All this aside, KC is a Brethren, KC is our family, but most important.. KC is our friend.

This man is one of my closest friends on this site, we talked often. We agreed and we disagreed, but we always stayed friends. I've wrriten my notes to him several times today, but just cant find the words yet.. His last words to me yesterday was 'loveya bro, talk to ya later"... and that will be my memory of him. No regrets..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #47
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Never met this man face to face but.....sitting hear with tears in my eyes. I always enjoyed..... chatting...with KC but now I will have to chat with him by another means. Phil, thanks for starting a new thread for our first friend who has left us physically. Sad part is this is only a starting point for us all. Today is a very special day in my life........My birthday and my second anniversary. Today has been much different than pure happiness. Passing of Steve the Crock Hunter who I thoroughly enjoyed. Now KCQUER.
Guess what ive been saying all along is true. We never know when a friend or loved one is going to pass through this planet called Earth. Therefore Brethren Brothers please hug and cherish your time with your friends and loved ones every chance you get.
This fall bash is gonna even be more important to me than ever. I get to meet the the folks who make this site so interesting. Advice and jokes and other types of discussion.
May sound kinda gay.............aint no damned way in hell but hugs to all the members of the Brethern and their loved ones.
Our thoughts and prayers to Scott and his family.
Mike

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #48
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

I never got to meet Scot, but always planed to when I got to KC. It just goes to show that you should not put things off or you might loose the opportunity. Even though I never met him in person I still feel like he was a friend and I will miss reading his posts. My prayers and condolences go out to his family.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #49
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have known about it for a few hours and had been waiting for an announcement here. We hosted HoDeDo Andy and his family at our house tonight and I am just now able to sit down and think about what I want to say.

It is no secret that Scott and I had our moments. Scott was one of the first people here to welcome me to the site when I joined. He invited me to his home when I got my BSKD and together, we built my baffle for it. The man was intensely detailed in his craftsmanship. I recall thinking that surely we could get this done quicker. But as I know now, that just wasn't Scott's style. Scott and Jean came to our house once and ate ribs with us when I was trying to convince him I would be a worthy BBQ teammate. At that time, I'm not sure he agreed. We originally were going to team up to compete in BBQ but that wasn't to be. Scott had an open invitation to cook with me at any contest I was in. I told him this on several occasions, regardless of our situations. Just last Thursday, I PMed Scott asking him if he wanted a ride to the Bash if he was planning to go. He responded that he appreciated the offer but his health still was not going to allow him to do any travel like that. I told him that if he needed any help with anything to let me know.

When Phil called me this morning, I was and remain tonight in total shock over this. It all seems so unfair. Why do things like this happen? I suppose when it's our time, it is our time... for all of us. I just pray that Scott's departure for Heaven was quick and without suffering.

I know Scott was a good man and loved his family dearly. My prayers will be with them now. For them, it is a loss that will never be forgotten.

For the Brethren, a voice and a friend that will never be forgotten.

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition and of unspeakable love."

-- Washington Irving
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 09-04-2006 at 11:06 PM..
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #50
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I pray for Scott's family that peace and understanding will be abundant as they go through this difficult time.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #51
Bob-BQN
Now we're cooking

Although I haven't met Scott in person, I have met him on a couple of forums and enjoyed his advice as well as his sense of humor. I don't post here often but I've been a member for a couple of years and try to keep up on all the wonderful "fattie" innovation so I log on a couple times a week to catch up on Brethren affairs.

I grew up in KCMO on the East side and just returned from visiting family there last month. Sure wish I would have met up with him somewhere, somehow. I am greatly saddened by the loss of a fellow barbecuer, hometown comrad and Internet friend.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jeanne & family.
Bob-BQN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #52
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I remember to this day discussing Banana Cream with him at his first bash. We talked we emailed we cussed and screamed....but the one thing that stands out to me is that he was not Scott he was "e". God's speed my hard headed friend.
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #53
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

I never met Scott. I never spoke with him on the phone. I never swapped emails or personal messages. I don't think I ever bantered back and forth with him in a thread. After reading everyone's post here who knew him, I feel short changed. My heart goes out to his wife and his family. Especially to his grandkid Leo. Growing up there are always people in your life who help you become the person you are. My parents and my Granparents are those people to me, my mentors who always taught me right from wrong. It seems Scott was one of those people to his family and friends.

We are all just passing through. You can't take anything with you when you leave, but you can leave a piece of yourself in everyone you meet. Always remember Scott and he will always be with you.

Steve
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #54
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is very sad news...I did not know Scott personally but I sure did enjoy his posts. Tonight I re-read the past discussions between us here on the forum and I will remember him as being quick with the compliments and long with the good advice. He will surely be missed. My condolences go out to his family.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #55
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Very sad news, I didnt know Scott very well, having just recently joined the list the beginning of this year, but I found his posts to the this forum to be knowlegable and helpful. Our prayers to his family at this emotional time. God Bless.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:35 AM   #56
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I did not know him but always enjoyed his feedback
My thought and prayers go out to his family

You will light our way, your memory will forever be with us
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:37 AM   #57
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

I never knew Scott, but from all that is said it is my loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. His memory will live on.
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #58
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
We are all just passing through. You can't take anything with you when you leave, but you can leave a piece of yourself in everyone you meet. Always remember Scott and he will always be with you.

Steve

Well said, bro.

I just looked at the board for the first time in 4 days, and this was the first thread I saw. What a hard way to start the week. My heart goes out to Scott's family....I'm totally struck speechless....I'll talk to the wife and figure out our donation.

Rest in peace, Brother.

--Matt

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #59
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

I can not even type. Thank you Scott, You made me a better person.

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:14 AM   #60
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

Geez, ......... very sorry to hear this. Though I`ve been a member here for a few years, my time allowed on a computer has been cut short due to career changing issues. I do have to say when I first started to TRY to BBQ years ago, it was KC that took the extra time to help me understand the art of this new type of cooking I was attemping. Thru many personal messages, he wrote long explanations of the how`s and why`s. I really respected that, as I love to understand and get to the bottom of perfecting my cooking. I was lucky enough to meet him and a bunch of you others at one of Phil`s bash`s a couple of summers ago. I then could see as well as hearing him, that he had a 'Good Soul'. I learned much from him as well as others here. Yesterday I Q`ed my first meatloaf (6 pounder) that I have to thank him for at least some of my skills, as all of my Q`ing technique has some of his teachings. I thank him again. Heartfelt thoughts go out to him and his family.

I have to say, I commend you guys for taking no more than 10 posts to getting this thread to talk about food. I think KC would respect that.

Peace brother. ..................... Serge
- Wally World / Turkey Fryer & Fish Basket
- Mini 14" Weber kettle
- Char-Broil Electric Vertical Smoker
- Little Chief Electric Fish Smoker x2
- Char-Broil Komander
Qczar is offline   Reply With Quote