MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Default Seasoning a new Smoker - Advice

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, my first post actually. Yesterday I took possession of my new smoker. It's a beast. Its a large trailer pulled off set wood burner. (Still working on learning the acronyms )

This is the first time I've actually had to break in my own pit, and I was wondering if you have any advice?

Thanks!

Brian
Gig'em99
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Are you talking about raw steel? If so rub some lard or Crisco on the grates, the rest of the inside will take care of it's self. Do a few hours burn I don't think you can get that stick burner to hot to do any harm. Callback when supper is ready.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Light coat of crisco shortening and burn it Hot 350+ for an hr the Idea is to carbonize the shortening like a seasoning a CI skillet.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Gig'em99

Good enough! I'll just treat this beast like a giant cast iron skillet.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

That's it; same as a cast iron skillet.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Those cans that spray vegetable oil work great!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Gig'em99

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia1 View Post
Those cans that spray vegetable oil work great!
I was thinking more along the lines of rubbing it all down with bacon grease. I've got plenty of it.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig'em99 View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of rubbing it all down with bacon grease. I've got plenty of it.
That could certainly work!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

From the Klose website under "pit curing"

A new BBQ pit should be cured like a new iron skillet. You may chose to rub the inside of the pit with Pam, peanut oil, cooking oils, or even bacon grease left over from bacon cooked on the stove. Then you light the pit with a medium fire, say 220 degrees for those of you with smokers. Choke the smokestack control about 1/2 and let it smoke heavily. A few hours is good, the longer the better. A Pit will cure without oils, but the buildup of the resin base on the doors doesn't seem to hold very well over the years.
I have made maybe 100,000 BBQ pits, noticing the pits seated with oils seem to produce better results. Once again, be careful with green woods. Some will produce very bitter tastes. Please do not ever use green mesquite in a smoker.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Last Spring I blundered into a a used Offset at an Estate Sale. Got a buy. Hauled it home and used a wire brush on the insides and on the grill grates. When I got thru, I cleaned it then smeared on Crisco pretty heavy on the insides. (I put on too much Crisco, but no harm.) The Crisco dripped out into a 1 gallon bucket when it started melting. I sprayed oil on the grates, cause the checks are hard to get into with the Crisco.
I stoked it up with Pecan Wood then, I smoked 6 rack of St. Louis Style Ribs...
I kept my temps between 275° and 300° till done.

The insides of my grill turned out a shiny black and it smells fantastic.

I would have done the outsides of the Offset too, except it had been sprayed with High Temp Stove Paint, and was in good shape.

(You never know what you will find behind the houses at Estate Sales.)

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 12-14-2012 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: quotation mark left off...
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Gig'em99

Seems like a lot of good info on the Klose website.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Gig'em99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
Last Spring I blundered into a a used Offset at an Estate Sale. Got a buy. Hauled it home and used a wire brush on the insides and on the grill grates. When I got thru, I cleaned it then smeared on Crisco pretty heavy on the insides. (I put on too much Crisco, but no harm.) The Crisco dripped out into a 1 gallon bucket when it started melting. I sprayed oil on the grates, cause the checks are hard to get into with the Crisco.
I stoked it up with Pecan Wood then, I smoked 6 rack of St. Louis Style Ribs...
I kept my temps between 275° and 300° till done.

The insides of my grill turned out a shiny black and it smells fantastic.

I would have done the outsides of the Offset too, except it had been sprayed with High Temp Stove Paint, and was in good shape.

(You never know what you will find behind the houses at Estate Sales.)
Love this! Last year, I was doing a cook-out for my neighbors, and I was borrowing a big pit that I've used over the years. I fired it up late that evening, to get the barrel up to temp, and some of my neighbors came out and said, "Smells great, what are you cooking?" Me..."Nothing, just lit the fire!" That old pit just smelled good...hot or cold.