• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

OK, what did I do wrong?

bmanMA

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK guys/gals, my head is hanging low this morning, but I have to put my pride aside and get this post done. I got a 5.5 lb flat-only CAB from the Supa Wally world the other day.

My goal was to tryout this injection that I got in the mail last week. Saturday night, I inject the crap out of it, at about every inch or so. Tried to use the entire mix, but there was just too much. I let it set overnight and threw it on at 9am. By 7pm it was still around 175*, but it felt done and so I pulled it.

1) I was not expecting this thing to be stuck at 175 after 10 hours.
2) It was very hammy.

So, not sure if I injected too much, or perhaps I should not have let it sit overnight? Whatever I did wrong, it sure was wrong. The brisky was very hammy and like I said it never hit temp. Not sure that the temp thing is related, but I suspect the injection was at play here too since I have never has this happen in many a brisky cook.

Smoker temps were averaging around 230 on the WSM. It was windy and so I had a few spikes, but at no time did it dip below 225.

Any ideas and general feedback for using these injections? I used the KosmosQ.

Sometimes a brisket is just plain stubborn. It takes as long as it takes. Check your thremometers, pit and probe. Finally, wind kills pit temp. I doubt the injection made any difference. But whatever it was, put it behind you and get back in the saddle.

Well hello Bman. I'm from the other end of the state and have injected just a couple of butts, but I'll give you my 2 cents. I've used Butchers injection on whole packers only and with good success. The container is good for two whole packers of about 12 to 13 pounds each. I inject right before the meat goes on the smoker and the recommendations from those who know suggest no more than four hours from injecting to smoking. Over night was IMHO too long for the meat to sit marinating. It sounds as if you used too much product also. I have never used Kosmo's but have heard it is similar to Butchers. As to the cooking time? Meat goes at it's own pace and is done when it's done, although around 12 hours seems to be my average.

the amount of injection and length of time that it sat b4 cooking wouldnt ruin it IMHO. At comps I try to inject as early as possible and as much as I can get in there and then some. I wasnt there but i believe it just wasnt cooked enough from what you are describing.

When you "felt done" what do you mean? describe it

I was able to insert my meat probe into the meat in several locations, and it slid on in with little resistance as if it was sitting around 190. It was getting late and I needed to let it rest. These 2 factors forced me to pull.

When I carved the meat after letting it rest, it was very moist, very tender. But it was not done; that is, it didn't have the correct texture, it didn't pass the 'pull and snap' test, for example. It was just not right. The best way to explain the product is an underdone brisky that magically was not dry and tough. I suspect the Kosmos saved me there. But it tasted like a ham.

I am a FAB user , I have never used Kosmos. Maybe that is what gave it the "hammy taste"?

I am a FAB user , I have never used Kosmos. Maybe that is what gave it the "hammy taste"?

How heavy of an application do you typically use? I drenched the thing.
I have read good things about the Kosmos... I'll reserve judgment at the moment. Patio Daddio gave it good marks.

I've read a few posts about the rare, but not unheard of "mutant brisket" that will cook for 24-30 hours without hitting temp.

You might have gotten one of those....:confused:

I'm really having a hard time trying to figure how a brisket can taste hammy. Hammy is a taste that I associate with cured pork. Do you mean that it was salty? Did you use the amount of water that Kosmo specified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammy is usually to much salt. aren't the wally world stuff enhanced ? also the temp plateau is going to take a long time to get past at that low a cooking temp. suggest raising the temp. also don't use salt when working with a enhanced meat.

I'm really having a hard time trying to figure how a brisket can taste hammy. Hammy is a taste that I associate with cured pork. Do you mean that it was salty? Did you use the amount of water that Kosmo specified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was salty. I used the correct amount of water, i think ;)

The texture also backed up the hamminess. The meat was undercooked as per temp. The meat was very tender and moist, but not the texture that you expect. As I've been thinking about this today, I am leaning towards an explanation which is a bit of the perfect storm. What do you think?

1) Windy day, may have affected temps that I was unaware of, potentially taking pit temps down. It didn't have its cozy on :(
2) Injection was salty, and I used a lot of it, and let it sit overnight. Perhaps overnight is too long, and perhaps I injected too much.
3) The meat may have been soaked in a solution in the bag; i will have to check that next time.
3) Meat temp never got right, but because of the overnight marinade it was tender, leading me to pull it prematurely since my pen slid right through it... ?

Last edited:
I'm gonna go with "Wally world meats are THE WORST" So far, everything I've bought and made from them is hammy. I'm sticking with regular old food store for meats from now on.

Your meat was probably enhanced.

I'm gonna go with "Wally world meats are THE WORST" So far, everything I've bought and made from them is hammy. I'm sticking with regular old food store for meats from now on.

I agree with this just because I been there with food from other places. I bought some Hormel BB from Jewel that were a 2 for one sale. I quickly found out why they were on sale. Was the worst ribs I ever tasted.

Hey, I am 100% all-natural my friend ;)

So, I stopped by the Wally to read the f'n package. Yup, enhanced. Like a mother. Never thought to look for it, but then again this was the first time I've bought anything there, as well as being the first time I have bought a flat-only Angus in a fancy package. Won't make that mistake again :clap2:

Brethren sniffed this one out. Nice.

For completeness' sake, I'm posting the follow up.
I got a nice brisky from my local butcher and used Kosmo's to inject once again. I added some rub and water to the mix and injected as I had done previously (where i FAILED). It was very good. Clearly my problem had been the enhanced cut of the WallyWorld meat. I took 10th out of 44 in brisket that day. Plenty of room to improve, but I was pretty happy that the hamminess was gone. Check your labels!!!

Back