Aged Brisket

H

Hugh Jorgan

Anybody do this? I have aged steaks before in my second fridge. I was just wondering if anyone thought it would be worth it. I don't think I could do it like the steaks because it's just too big for the space I have. No where near enough room to hang a brisket.

Can anyone share any experiences? Any suggestions? I can't hang it in the little fridge so I probably won't even be able to try.

The main reason I ask is because people used to eat a lot of aged beef, now it's all fresh fresh fresh. A quick search of the internet exposed some reasons we don't anymore, (plus some sure fire ways to die from food poisoning), price being number one I think.

Anybody aged any cuts other than steaks or game?

Many Brethren, especially those who compete, wet-age brisket, but few dry-age them. There have been several threads on the subject. A quick search might turn them up.

As he said, there are threads out there, but I have wet aged mine 3 weeks in the bottom of the fridge. I think dry age would be a little dicey unless you have a dedicated fridge for the purpose that you knew would not get opened very much.

I do not see the reason to dry age a brisket for BBQ, The typical reason for dry aging is to intensify the flavor and relax the meat through a decay process. You lose a lot of moisture, fat and meat, the trade-off for a more tender and intense flavor under high heat cooking. Since a brisket is going to be slow cooked and smoked, I see no point to losing the fat and moisture.

Hugh.... please join so you can use the search feature. You will see many topics have been discussed many times and this time around we may miss something those little threads had in them.

I took a tour of a meat packing Co. in Philly and can give you a little feedback. The dry aging process takes about 30% of your yield that is cut off after the process is complete. The time was around 28 days at around 43 and I am not sure of the humidity setting. The cryovac meat that is "wet aged" will actually continue to age for about a couple of weeks in the packing and that meat is just as good as the "dry aged" with no loss. Both are delicious and I would use a prime cut, enjoy!

Yep just figured out how to do that Funkman.

Thanks for the tips.

I agree that dry aging a brisket and then slow cooking it is a waste of time and good yield. The process of dry aging will break down sinew and tenderize meat but not any better than hours of smoke and low heat.

i wet age in the cryo as often as possible. As close to 30 days at 36 degrees is what i shoot for.

I just shop for the ones that have the closest "sell by date" in the meat counter, figure they are wet aged enough.

Back