MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default The Bacon Tomato sandwich

I wait all year for these, as I really only like them when I have grown the tomato. Even the store bought Frou-frou tomatoes seem to lack something compared to the one's I can grow on my own. And since it has been over 3 years since I actually planted a tomato patch, this was a great treat. Shown here, are a Brandywine Sudduth's and a Berkeley Tie-dye tomato.

Brandywine Sudduth's (l.), Berkeley Tie-dye (r.)

A couple of side notes, I have grown the Brandywine several times in my backyard, and it's reputation as one of the best tasting tomatoes around has been sorely missed by me. It was never a good tomato, but, since I was planting my front yard, I gave it a shot, and it has been quite good. The Berkeley Tie-dye is a particular favorite of mine, as I was friends with Brad Gates (back when I was far more active as a gardener)(who am I kidding, I have never been an active gardener) at the time he developed the tomato and was fortunate enough to be one of the people who got an early taste of the new variety. It killed me this year, soooo slow. The first one to set a fruit, it took months to ripen. That is the real color, no enhancement, it is one striking tomato.

Anyways, here they are sliced and waiting for the bread to toast up and the bacon to crisp.

Brandywine Sudduth's (l.), Berkeley Tie-dye (r.)

Beautiful beefsteak type locules, I should have saved seed, but, I ate them. These slices were joined by some Neuske's bacon, allegedly and arguably the best bacon you can get. It is really quite good. I found some 'brown and serve' Ciabatta buns at the grocery store, that really offer a great fresh baked texture. And I used some frou-frou mayonnaise from cold-expeller pressed oil. It does taste good, especially with several grinds of fresh black pepper and a little smoked Maldon salt.

The sandwiches

Realistically, the only reason I grow tomatoes anymore is for the sandwiches and the occasional pasta dish. I am most definitely happy with how this turned out.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

That looks great, Bob!

Our neighbor at the Kenosha competition brought us a sack full of veggies from his garden, including some beautiful beefsteak tomatoes. We had caprese salad last night and BLaTs (Bacon, Lettuce, avocado and Tomato) sandwiches are on the menu for tonight!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

That looks so good,
I am planting mine in a few weeks, can't wait

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
landarc

Ooo, avocado, I need some avocado

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 08-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

they are coming in hot and heavy in my garden.

I make a snack with toasted white bread, buttered, slices of tomato S&P

open face

open mouth too

;)
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
landarc

This was a few days ago, Brandywine and Hillbilly tomatoes and a home made basil and garlic aioli dressing...

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
This was a few days ago, Brandywine and Hillbilly tomatoes and a home made basil and garlic aioli dressing...
if you dont mind, what is that dressing recipe?

I also have a bunch of basil in the garden!
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
landarc

here is what I did, some of this hinges on your experience with making mayonnaise, although you can cheat and just use store bought mayonnaise as well.

First, using some garlic and salt in either a mortar and pestle or a metal bowl, mash the garlic and salt into a fine paste. Obviously, this is easier in a m&p, or a machine. Snip the basil into the garlic paste and mash or process until it is a coarse paste, add some olive oil, or neutral oil if that is your preference, and process. You are making a basil and garlic infused oil, more than a true pesto.

At this point, you could just whip the basil oil into some store bought mayo and be done. Or go nuts, and break some eggs. You need one egg yolk for around 3/4 cup of the oil. You will also need some vinegar (1/8 cup scant for each egg yolk). In a food processor or large bowl, combine egg yolks and vinegar until integrated and light yellow. If using a food processor, drizzle slowly the oil into the food processor as it runs on low to medium low. It will come together, it takes a little patience, as the oil should never pool. My food processor as a tiny hole in the pusher, if I fill the pusher with oil, it feeds perfectly.

If doing by hand, place the bowl on a damp towel ring, so it stays put, and using a balloon whisk, incorporate the oil slowly, whisking after each drizzle. This gives the best texture.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
LMAJ

Looks great! I like the way you waste no space with lettuce...

Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen.. taking too darn long!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Jealous...I didn't get any tomatoes in the ground this year...I'm hanging for a good tomato now....
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Just as I said in my thread a few weeks ago.... I LOVE MATER SAMMICHES!!

Those look great! My faves are the simple mater, mayo, white bread, salt and pepper as I don't like them to compete with good bread or toasting.

HOWEVER! I love making your kind as well. Since there's a sauce and savory meat involved the good bread and toasting goes soooooo very well!!

Sooooooo....it looks like I got some fancy mater sammiches to make to break up my current summer binge.

Although I will mention that the massive amount of rain we have gotten this summer has really put a hurtin on the quality of maters around here. My new place I've moved to has no area suitable for the kind I like to grow(very little sunlight during the day) so I've had to work the farmers markets heavy.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
here is what I did, some of this hinges on your experience with making mayonnaise, although you can cheat and just use store bought mayonnaise as well.

First, using some garlic and salt in either a mortar and pestle or a metal bowl, mash the garlic and salt into a fine paste. Obviously, this is easier in a m&p, or a machine. Snip the basil into the garlic paste and mash or process until it is a coarse paste, add some olive oil, or neutral oil if that is your preference, and process. You are making a basil and garlic infused oil, more than a true pesto.

At this point, you could just whip the basil oil into some store bought mayo and be done. Or go nuts, and break some eggs. You need one egg yolk for around 3/4 cup of the oil. You will also need some vinegar (1/8 cup scant for each egg yolk). In a food processor or large bowl, combine egg yolks and vinegar until integrated and light yellow. If using a food processor, drizzle slowly the oil into the food processor as it runs on low to medium low. It will come together, it takes a little patience, as the oil should never pool. My food processor as a tiny hole in the pusher, if I fill the pusher with oil, it feeds perfectly.

If doing by hand, place the bowl on a damp towel ring, so it stays put, and using a balloon whisk, incorporate the oil slowly, whisking after each drizzle. This gives the best texture.

alright

thats it

BLT's for din for me

nothing fancy though

I will try your recipe, but not this time!!

thanks!!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
...Although I will mention that the massive amount of rain we have gotten this summer has really put a hurtin on the quality of maters around here. My new place I've moved to has no area suitable for the kind I like to grow(very little sunlight during the day) so I've had to work the farmers markets heavy.
If you get heat, you can grow tomatoes, all they need, especially the larger salad types, is good heat and filtered sunlight. I have grown tomatoes such as Eva Purple Ball and Hillbilly under a mulberry tree with good results on warm years.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow those look great! We don't have good luck up here with growing tomatoes; must be the fact we can only use pots. Back in Louisiana we would grow Creole tomatoes which are awesome - meaty and very heat tolerant.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Nice sammies Bob... The homegrown tomatoes look tasty, and I like your choice of ciabatta, bacon and mayo.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote