MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

Default What is comparable to a Weber Genesis?

I am a proud owner of a Primo Oval XL, wouldn't sell it for anything. However, I am thinking about adding a gas grill to the patio, too. Used to own a Weber Genesis, loved it, great grill. What I want to know is what a grill that would be comparable with it but at a better price? I only ask because I was reading the Top Ten Gas Grills under $500 from BBQ.About (I believe), and they listed the new Huntington sold specifically at Lowe's at No. 1 on that list at least and over the obviously cheaper made Weber Spirit Line. The Huntington is supposed to be the exact same grill sans the badge of a Broil King Signet 40, which sells for the mid $500s. Could this be what I'm looking for? Any other ideas? Thanks, guys!!
Steelers252006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Yes, Huntington's are the same as Broil King except for the cast aluminum head on the Broil King. I wouldn't go as far as to say Genesis good, but they are very good and at a very fair price. Their tube in a tube burner idea seems good. I have no idea of the longevity though.

Go Steelers!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

How long you think you will keep it? If this is a long term relationship bite the bullet and get a Weber.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Go Weber. The reason for this is that years down the road, you will still be able to get replacement parts for the Genesis.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
redwingsphan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I would try to find a lightly used genesis on Craigslist. It might be an older model, but many say those are better anyway. And you will probably spend less than Huntington. Just make sure you get a good look at the guts before buying.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

So in terms of best "pound for pound", there probably is not a better deal to be had than a Genesis is the concensus? This would be a secondary grill, of course, but I just could not force myself to throw away a few hundred bucks on a grill I will not enjoy cooking on and that will not last.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsphan View Post
I would try to find a lightly used genesis on Craigslist. It might be an older model, but many say those are better anyway. And you will probably spend less than Huntington. Just make sure you get a good look at the guts before buying.
Will definitely try that!! I sold my Genesis, which was just a year old, garage kept and with a cover on, in great shape, for $400. Man, I wish I could find THAT deal!!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I cheeped out last time, and will be getting a Weber next. They cook great, and last just about forever.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers252006 View Post
Will definitely try that!! I sold my Genesis, which was just a year old, garage kept and with a cover on, in great shape, for $400. Man, I wish I could find THAT deal!!
Before you buy another gas grill ask yourself why you sold the previous gas grill, lack of use, not what you thought a gas grill could do, expected more out of a gas grill, etc...
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

I bought a Huntington at Lowes for my Florida place 3 years ago. Very good build quality. I believe the lid is cast aluminum (is that what you mean by head?) Body is Aluminum. Has 3 main burners and a side burner. Cast iron grates. Maybe they changed the models Lowes carries cause the site models don't look the same. This is the model I bought
http://www.huntingtonbbq.com/grills/Classic/666664.html
As far as parts availability , this thing is built in the US and the company is the same as Broil King - Onward Manufacturing (Canadian Company). They're not going away anytime soon.
http://www.omcbbq.com/
Webers are an excellent grill too, obviously.
I will say one thing about my Huntington (it's propane) Man does it get HOT in a hurry. And I mean HOT.
Hope that helps.
Hedgeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

We have been using our Weber Genesis B for a food 10 years or so. Replaced the guys once. It's been out on my deck uncovered the entire time. Fires right up every time. Well worth the money when I want to do a quick cook
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgeley View Post
I bought a Huntington at Lowes for my Florida place 3 years ago. Very good build quality. I believe the lid is cast aluminum (is that what you mean by head?) Body is Aluminum. Has 3 main burners and a side burner. Cast iron grates. Maybe they changed the models Lowes carries cause the site models don't look the same. This is the model I bought
http://www.huntingtonbbq.com/grills/Classic/666664.html
As far as parts availability , this thing is built in the US and the company is the same as Broil King - Onward Manufacturing (Canadian Company). They're not going away anytime soon.
http://www.omcbbq.com/
Webers are an excellent grill too, obviously.
I will say one thing about my Huntington (it's propane) Man does it get HOT in a hurry. And I mean HOT.
Hope that helps.
Most new Huntington's have a cast aluminum bottom and steel lid. The Broil King is the full cast aluminum head (bottom of cooker body and lid).

http://www.huntingtonbbq.com/grills/Rebel/602054.html

They used to have a Patriot series that was like the Broil King but it appears they don't make that line anymore. So I would have to retract my prior statement about the tube in tube burner. Only Broil King has that now. So you would have to go up to a Broil King to be closer to a Genesis. And they have a similar price point I think, so go with the Weber. And like stated above, the Weber will have replacement parts available for YEARS.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

Then would a more fair comparison to the Huntington be the Weber Spirit E-210?

Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I looked hard and long a few weeks ago when I decided to replace my 15 year old Genesis. There really isn't anything better in that price range or below. I spent a little bit more for a Saber Cast 500 IR grill. It's similar in price to the Genesis S330 but much better built and it cooks fantastic.

If you're price range is fixed I would take a little time and wait for a deal on CL on a Genesis.

I use IFTTT.com for CL searches. Here is my search recipe for a Weber grill. It will send you an e-mail when one is listed so you can be on top of it.

https://ifttt.com/recipes/103097

You would have to sign up for IFTTT (free) and then modify the search for you CL group.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

When I bought my Huntington I was only down in Florida for a couple weeks, so didn't have time to hunt around for a bbq. There was a sale on (free delivery and assembly as well) so I got one. Now that I'm retired, and looking back, if I had more time I'd look around for a used Genesis. One thing I read is that the Weber Silver line is made in china . I don't know when that started. Also read that the Genesis line is assembled in the US from Chinese parts.
I don't know who the authority is that stated that, but here's a link
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/421522
Good luck in your hunt.
Hedgeley is offline   Reply With Quote