• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Took my new UDS out for a spin today..

Budman1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I tried a little experimenting today. I built my first UDS last week, seasoned it last Saturday and have been itching to try it out. I had a couple hours to kill today, so I smoked up some cheese. Being the weather didn't want to cooperate, 28F and 40-50 mph gusts, I put the UDS by the backdoor of the garage. I used a little hot plate, a small cast iron pot, and some hickory and oak chips. It took about 10 minutes to get it up to 100f, and it stayed there. About an hour into it, the smoke was a little heavy so I foiled the cast iron pot and poked a few holes in it, turned down the hot plate a tad..That seemed to do the trick, holding at 95f and a whisper of blue smoke. Cheese had a slight sag to it but not bad. Good color-I think... I'm a greenhorn, so trial and error is half the fun. The other half will be if turns out edible. The garage and breezeway smell like Q-heaven. Smoked it for 2.5 hrs, cooled it, bagged it in the fridge. OK, I'll fess up, I did try a piece, mmmm.... How do you wait 2 weeks? That is sheer willpower, which I don't have.

Thanks to all on this site, I'm addicted to it. I've gleaned a lot of info needed to get this far.

100_4180.jpg

100_4196.jpg

100_4199.jpg

I was ready to git my rope when I saw the first Pic WTF? Then it all made sense :doh: I like some smoked cheese, Provolone , Cheddar, and Pepper jack are a few of my favorites

That looks awesome. There is no way I would have made the two weeks either without a little taste!

Great looking cheese!
I've never waited 2 weeks, the longest I go is 24 hours. :grin:

I was ready to git my rope when I saw the first Pic WTF? Then it all made sense :doh: I like some smoked cheese, Provolone , Cheddar, and Pepper jack are a few of my favorites

Fark! I was there with ya. Now I gotta find a hot plate. Why haven't I seen this before?

Looks gooooooooood. Love me some cheese.

Two weeks?!? No way... my wife wouldn't let it sit for 2 hours. Cool set up! Alton Brown did an episode on smoking some fish using a hot plate as a heat source, too. In a carboard box, no less! Glad your cheese turned out delicious!

Back