Much better results

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After my last cook, this one came out much better. So out of 3 cooks on the bandera, 1 great(the first), 1 not great(the 2nd) and now a very good.

The first time I used a lot of Kingsford with hickory chunks added. The 2nd time used lump with hickory chunks.

This time, I used a little kingsford, a little kingsford lump(gets very hot) and pecan splits from Academy.

Much easier to regulate the temps using the kingsford and the splits.

Ordered a charcoal basket from Spicewine and it is on its way. I will try it out next weekend.

I will need some advice on using the charcoal basket.

Congrats! Whatever works for ya....:biggrin:

I started out using charcoal on the Bandera but I have since moved to mostly lump and split wood. There is too much ash with the charcoal and I like the smell better with the lump as opposed to the charcoal.

Smoker said:
I started out using charcoal on the Bandera but I have since moved to mostly lump and split wood. There is too much ash with the charcoal and I like the smell better with the lump as opposed to the charcoal.

I have to agree, I've been more diligent in looking for Lump instead of just settling for Kingsford. And now that it seems nearly impossible to fins the old style K-briquets, I might eventually have to go to purely stick burning if the lump supply goes away. There hasn't been much of a reliable supply of any kind of lump in my area.

JTMcD.

I can find plenty of lump in my area, unfortunately, it is all mesquite lump.

Back