How long to get to temperature?

Pooj17

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Trying a practice run as tomm will be my first go at using a smoker. So I want to try a dry run and see how long it take to get up there for tomms naked fatties

10 minutes to 2 hours. :eyebrows:

Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.

Sorry guys that the door open for that one I deserve that lol.... had charcoal on for about a half hour temperature is up about 100° when up with a wood on?

How about mentioning exactly what cooker you are using. How you are lighting it, etc. :idea:

It's a char griller with a side smoker box.... Using Kingsford original charcoal and then some Oakwood after the first hour

Ahh, that's better. Maybe an hour or so to get it ready for a cook. Just be warned, those things leak like a sieve, and will require lots of babysitting. Using splits will be better though.

My WSM's take roughly 45 minutes to get to temp with the thin blue.

On my CG, I use charcoal with a few wood chunks. I have a basket that I fill with unlit charcoal except for the end next to cooking chamber. I fire up half a chimney until ashed over & dump that in the empty end. I pull the ash drawer open about 2" until the chamber temp hits 200*. Close the drawer & the intake vent about half. Takes about 30 mins (more or less) to come up to 240-250. Be sure you have a accurate way to read pit temps at cooking grate level. The stock them on the hood is useless.

Looks like you got your answer. I'm learning the hard way the time difference it takes to get up to temp. My brinkmann verticle took 30 minutes on a bad day. My lang takes an hour ... at least.

Stop over I have an old basket for the firebox that you can have. I'm only around the corner from you. I have the same smoker as you.

Digger...much appreciated. I will have to take you up on your offer soon...thanks again

My last post was removed as web master thought it was an advertisement for my product and it was.
Sorry web master.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can buy a small computer fan of US$5, and an AC/DC adapter of US$10 from eBay.
It will take 10 to 15 minutes to light your smoker.

Your search will NOT lead to my listing. This post is NOT an advertisement

When using the smokers I make, you are up to clean burning, smoky air in less than four minutes, ready for product.Takes two to three times longer for the chimney to ready. It has to do with the design. Most others are longer and as said earlier, once you hit 200 to 225 degrees and the air is burning clean,put the food on. Airflow, fuel, outside conditions, cookers design insulated or not are all very important factors in getting quick clean burning air ready to cook with. Steve.

Back