• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

HyVee Stores ?

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There is a new HyVee store under construction not far from me. Big ol dude! This is the first in our area and I was wondering what some of the brethren think about them. Do they have a good meat department? Thanks everyone.

Hyvee is where I do about 90% of my grocery shopping. From time to time they will run some good meat sales, but for the everyday stuff they do tend to run a bit high. I have found that the folks behind the meat counter are pretty knowledgeable and helpful though. Hopefully that extends beyond just my store.

Their meat is ok and sometimes you do get a good special. I didn't know they were expanding that far south.

I concur with the others. Keep an eye on their weekly specials and sales but everyday stuff usually isn't the best price.

They have the best meat counters in town out of all the other supermarkets. The brats they make are pretty darn good too.

Last summer our stores usually had sales of the flat iron steaks, great for grill/smoker.

Good meat, but usually pricey.

My hometown has always had a Hyvee and I'm luck enough to have a cousin running the meat dept. so whenever I'm in visiting the family I go there first. The good thing about that chain is that it's employee owned so your spent dollars will be used locally if that matters to you.

They have the best meat counters in town out of all the other supermarkets. The brats they make are pretty darn good too.

I have heard good things about their sausages and they are actually a good deal from what I am told.

prices tend to be higher (from my experience when we lived in Iowa), but I thought their meat dept was pretty good. Prices may be a tad higher because they have a good number of itmes prepped which you can just throw on the grill if you're feeling lazy sometimes. They weren't as good a Fareway (best meat counter I've ever seen in a store - almost felt like a butcher shop), but still pretty darn good. I would rather shop there than at Kroger or HEB.

Good meat department but higher than a Sams or Costco for meat.

My other problem is that all their pork butts and ribs are solution added and not natural. I'll add anything that I want to the pork, I don't need or want Hormel adding it for me.

My meat counter told me that was all they offered so I don't buy my smoking meat there.

Otherwise a great store.

In Springfield you have Harder House and they have better meat than Any HVee I've been in.

Occasional good specials, but as someone mentioned, most of their pork is Hormel solution injected stuff. Overall, I find their prices tend to be higher than the store I patronize.

Sorry Devious, I think Hy-Vee's brats are awful. I guess I'm a Fareway guy...

Chris

I don't care for HV. But I live in beef country. MOST HV meat is "enhanced". Yuck.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am disappointed in the "enhanced meats" stuff. I will check them out in a few months when they open. As Jaberwabee stated, our local Harter House stores have excellent meat departments. That is what their business was built around. Excellent stores.

In Omaha, I have a choice of several name brand stores, among them is Hy-Vee, Fareway, Bakers (Kroger), Super Saver, Bag & Save and No Frills. I shop No Frills most and make them price match whatever is on special elsewhere. Fareway has the best & biggest meat department - some great pricing as well. I always watch the Hy-Vee specials so I don't have to drive so far - make the No Frills folks match price.

I have found that the folks behind the meat counter are pretty knowledgeable and helpful though. Hopefully that extends beyond just my store.
Let me tell you...........it doesn't extend to all stores and most have no idea about what they are selling at the one I'm familiar with. They routinely have bb ribs cheaper than spares and after telling them twice, I figured they aren't going to figure it out.

Occasional good specials, but as someone mentioned, most of their pork is Hormel solution injected stuff. Overall, I find their prices tend to be higher than the store I patronize.

Sorry Devious, I think Hy-Vee's brats are awful. I guess I'm a Fareway guy...

Chris
Agree 100%. I'm also a Fareway guy.

In Omaha, I have a choice of several name brand stores, among them is Hy-Vee, Fareway, Bakers (Kroger), Super Saver, Bag & Save and No Frills. I shop No Frills most and make them price match whatever is on special elsewhere. Fareway has the best & biggest meat department - some great pricing as well. I always watch the Hy-Vee specials so I don't have to drive so far - make the No Frills folks match price.

Ditto on Fareway meat dept. But I have been able to pick up some nice steaks at Hy-Vee. I prefer Sam's for all my smoking meats.

Back