Thinking about taking the trailer plunge!

Make sure it's big enough for what you want to do but not to big to pull with what you've got. Our's is 7 x 16 and I wish it was wider.

I bought an 8.5'w x 20' toyhauler 3 years old for $7500 in perfect shape.....just a point of reference.

Check craigslist in your area. 6 x12 trailers are cheap around here.

I know that a tandem axle is more expensive but having two tires is a huge anvantage. It will give time to get to the side of the road before you have problems. And as sombody else pointed out get a tall enough trailer to walk in, your head will thank you.
There are several enclosed trailer companies in So GA around Douglas and Fitzgerald. And I think you could get more trailer for your dollar by shopping a little.

I guess what I liked about that trailer is it already had the ceiling walls and floor done.

Is it a major undertaking to finish them on your own?

Thanks!

Ooohhh get ready to open that wallet nice and wide!! I'm right in the middle of it as I type this. I JUST ordered an 8.5x18 tandem and by the time I put together an extremely minimal list of options the $$ went up at a dizzying rate.

That trailer would be way too small in a big hurry. It does have the RV door latch ($39 option) which is nice. One problem I see is that because the walls and ceiling are already finished you will have to run extension cords to everything or tear it all out to run electrical and put it back.

Also, that price isn't that great. The base price of the 8.5x18 that I was quoted was only $600 more than that 6x12 trailer. Not trying to discourage you but definatley shop around. I'd wager that you can do a LOT better.

Russ

Some things you might want to look at:
1) Trailer breaks - When I got my trailer, it had breaks but I hadn't installed a controller in the truck yet. Came down a hill after a contest and the light changed on me - almost got pushed through the intersection. Break controller was installed the following week.
2) Floor plan - think about how you want the interior laid out. Are you putting in counters, cabinets, sink (water tank, water pump, hot water tank, grey water tank), etc. Also, if you sleeping in the trailer - where will the bed/cot go? You might find 6x12 will be too small.
3) Two axles are a lot safer. Plus a spare tire.
4) Electrical - if you are going to do any prep work in the trailer at a contest, you'll want electricity. Again, think about what you want the trailer for. As stated above, you'll have to remove these walls and basically remodel.

Overall, I love using the trailer at contests. I use the trailer as a mobile kitchen with a bed. Don't have to worry about wind or rain when getting the boxes ready.

Good luck!

Hey Wally shop around. My team just picked up a 16x7 tandem for 1,900 on craigslist. It has some scratches on it, but no leaks, new tires, and a 4,500 lb capacity ramp door. We will level the rig, suspend the door and use it as a porch. We installed some prefab cabinets, rv hopkins for power, a small generator, a medium used refrigerator , and d rings to tie down the cookers. And a 1/2 ton truck or suv will pull it easy enough.

Hey Wally Give me a call when you get a chance. Will be shopping and packing the trailer so evening is better. Good comments here BTW. You'll need stabilizer jacks as didn't see them on list or did I just miss them?

You sure do move fast. Cook with me at Winter Haven, 2 weeks later cook yourself then a week later shopping for a trailer.

Some other things to consider - v nose for gas mileage; wider trailer (harder on gas but easier to move inside); 2990 is light if you start hauling too much stuff. It's OK now but it adds up quick; adding electric - you can run a conduit to each outlet needed so it's not a huge deal with the walls in but it costs more; AC on the roof needs structure in the roof to support it so ask if it's made to support rooftop AC.

Thanks all! Lots of great info! A drive to GA might be in order!

Ford, are you going to Punta Gorda tomorrow? I only live about 30 minutes from there so I was planning on leaving work early and coming out to see things. Wanted to cook but have to fly to London Saturday.

Shop around. Just got an 8x18 tandem, with extra height, dual axle, ramp door on the rear, rv side door, vnose and 4x8 vending window. Brand new for about 1700 more than what you linked to. Includes Chrome everything, dome lights, stone guard, etc. Catch is I will be doing the walls, floor and electrical myself.

I shopped around for two months in three different states, turns out I only needed to go an hour west. And I found when shopping if you are informed and know your options you can work a good deal.

My enclosed trailer was bought off craigslist with a huge savings. Just wish it had tandem axles.

Good morning, yall.

In an effort to try to save some money I was thinking about using this for the flooring and doing it myself. http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/foam/12-eco-soft-tile.html. We use it at our home to add additional cushion under our wrestling mats for the kids. It's really easy to cut and work with and pretty cheap. Any thoughts?

Have any of yall finished the walls and ceiling? Just wondering what that entailed.

Thanks!

After much discussion already I will give you my $0.02 worth.

Mine was a 6x12, next one will be at least 7x14.
I did get a 6 1/2 ft interior after borrowing a shorter one. My head thanked me.
Mine was a single axle.
I had no brakes, the next one will.
I had barn doors, the next one will have a drop gate.
Mine had bias ply tires, the next one will have radials.

Mine was bought at a local dealer cheaper than the one you showed. Shop around more. I got mine out the door, tax, tag, title, etc. for just over $2500.

I can tell you which one of the companies in Southern GA not to by from. They will NOT stand behind their so called warranty. I had several problems, and they addressed NONE of them, I had to take care of it out of pocket.

If you think you need a 6x12, go next size bigger. You will find that a 6ft wide will get real narrow inside real fast, especially if you are going to mount any shelves, cabinets etc in it.

Hope this helps some.

After much discussion already I will give you my $0.02 worth.

Mine was a 6x12, next one will be at least 7x14.
I did get a 6 1/2 ft interior after borrowing a shorter one. My head thanked me.
Mine was a single axle.
I had no brakes, the next one will.
I had barn doors, the next one will have a drop gate.
Mine had bias ply tires, the next one will have radials.

Mine was bought at a local dealer cheaper than the one you showed. Shop around more. I got mine out the door, tax, tag, title, etc. for just over $2500.

I can tell you which one of the companies in Southern GA not to by from. They will NOT stand behind their so called warranty. I had several problems, and they addressed NONE of them, I had to take care of it out of pocket.

If you think you need a 6x12, go next size bigger. You will find that a 6ft wide will get real narrow inside real fast, especially if you are going to mount any shelves, cabinets etc in it.

Hope this helps some.

Great info thanks!

I have started looking GA.
These guys seems to have some good prices and a decent build. http://www.xtratufftrailers.com/ Is that the co in Ga you dealt with?

Back