MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Generators

I know the most popular on the BBQ circuit is a Honda. I need something in the 6000 range for my mobile kitchen. I'm not ready to drop the $4,000 on an EU6500. Are there any options that anyone else uses. I love the noise reduction of a honda, but for our uses the last two summers we have gotten by with borrowed off-brand equipment that has worked very well, but is of course noisy.

I know the adage you get what you pay for, but I know people who have had a honda less than a year and had to send it in, just as I know people that have had a honda for five years and had no trouble. In the same sense I know people with a Black Max that have had it five years with no trouble.

Thoughts and suggestions.....

Thanks in advance
Cynful
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Check the brand of engine they use to begin with. Then pull and start them. You can tell a lot by how easy they pull and start. I have a John Deere that we use and if I didn't know better, I'd swear it was a Honda, may have been made by Honda for JD.

I also have a 5000 watt electric start Honda that has given me more problems than my JD, which has had none.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

We have a onan 5500 genesis genset made by cummins. Gasoline vtwin 1800 hrs and we have hardly any problems. Quiet also. Have had it shut off 3 times during cookoffs in 110*++ days running 2 air conditioners and god knows what else the wife does while im Cookin. Solved this problem by leaving the Motorhome enclosure open, runs flawless. Like $3k brand new and worth every penny compared to other manufactures IMO!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Generators

I have a Coleman 6850w that I have used every weekend for eight months of the year the last seven years. It is used at a dirt track where it is very dusty.

The biggest key is to make sure that you run the gas out of the motor after each use. Most generators have a fuel shut off on the fuel line coming from the tank. Also, if you don't use it for long periods dump the fuel and start it with fresh fuel. Change the fuel filter every year with the annual oil change.

Like you I liked the quietness of the Honda, but the price was not an option when I was buying. I did put a muffler for about $40.00 on the Briggs motor that made it tolerable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93vpmod View Post
I have a Coleman 6850w that I have used every weekend for eight months of the year the last seven years. It is used at a dirt track where it is very dusty.

The biggest key is to make sure that you run the gas out of the motor after each use. Most generators have a fuel shut off on the fuel line coming from the tank. Also, if you don't use it for long periods dump the fuel and start it with fresh fuel. Change the fuel filter every year with the annual oil change.

I think you need to change your oil more frequently. I know that Honda and Yamaha inverter generators recommend changing oil every 100hrs.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Check this one out. I used to have it and liked it very much. Just as quiet as the Hondas and half the price!

http://www.kipor.com/product/xiangxi...5872256&id=211

[FONT=Arial Black]Of everything I have lost in this life...I miss my mind the most![/FONT]
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
redlevel42
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
In the same sense I know people with a Black Max that have had it five years with no trouble.

Thoughts and suggestions.....

Thanks in advance
Cynful
I have a Black Max with about 70 hours on it. No problems. Noise isn't a factor. I believe it says it is rated at 8500 starting, either 6500 0r 7000 continuous. Genuine Honda engine. When I bought it, it cost $999 plus tax. I have used it on the farm, running table saws, a 12" planer, sawzall, skill saw, etc. Never bogs down, starts right up either with rope or starter. It is relatively noisy. For those who say you get what you pay for, I'm not willing to pay an extra $3K for noise reduction. As for longevity, I can buy an extra one for reserve and still have less than half what an equivalent size Honda brand costs. The only thing I could not speak to is extended running time under load. The 70 or so hours on mine has probably been done with just short bursts of loaded running.
redlevel42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post

I think you need to change your oil more frequently. I know that Honda and Yamaha inverter generators recommend changing oil every 100hrs.
Thanks Luke...it does get changed more frequently-about every 12 nights of use. I should have referenced "first run of the season" vs. annual oil change. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Has anyone ever used the allpower 6000 watt digital inverter generator?

DB level is 60.
Only draw is the fuel will only last 6 hours on a 1/2 load.

http://www.generatordepot.us/allpowe...FShgMgodZCoATA
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
I know the most popular on the BBQ circuit is a Honda. I need something in the 6000 range for my mobile kitchen. I'm not ready to drop the $4,000 on an EU6500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlevel42 View Post
I have a Black Max with about 70 hours on it. No problems. Noise isn't a factor. I believe it says it is rated at 8500 starting, either 6500 0r 7000 continuous. Genuine Honda engine.
From what I've found online the Black Max that was mentioned is rated at 78dB. I presume (hope) that this is at full load.

The Honda EU6500is is rated at 60 dB(A) @ rated load, 52 dB(A) @ 1/4 load

It's obviously up to you whether or not the money is worth the noise reduction.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

Watch craigslist and the local "shopper" type papers. I was looking for a smaller light unit for my camper and found a honda eu6500 with electric start and under 300 hours and bought it for $600. It looked like new and fired right up. It was the victim of a divorce , losing the house etc. It wasn't what I wanted for my trailer but it was perfect for a back up at the house. Living on the coast in Florida warrants having one sitting in the garage. I then took my 2 smaller units that I had for the house and put them on craigslist, sold them both and bought a new Boliy, which is a yamaha copy that weighs less than 70 pounds and runs a 15k rv ac with no issues for my trailer.

When I was done I had better units for both uses than I had planned on for less money than a 2000 watt honda. The Boliy is an inverter as well and very quite.
Mommas happy so that means I am as well !!!
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderalley3 View Post
Watch craigslist and the local "shopper" type papers. I was looking for a smaller light unit for my camper and found a honda eu6500 with electric start and under 300 hours and bought it for $600.
You stole that. I'll give you $625 for it.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

If you were closer I would really think about it,,,,NOT
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

Now your talking my department here as I own and run a small engine repair shop There are a lot of lesser name brands that are just as good as the Honda, and most have what is known as a Honda Clone engine. They are basically a chineese knock off that are virtually identical to a real Honda. I have had a couple folks "in the know" tel me they are even made in the same factory as a true Honda. Most Honda parts will work on them, but it is not as simple as going to Honda dealer for the part. The will likely run you out of the store if you tell them you need a part for a clone as Honda will pull their dealership if they sell parts to fit a clone. Allpower and Champion are two that come to mind. We are a factory warranty center and I see very few in for repair, and most are just for the pull start rope being broke. No matter what brand you chose, before purchase contact the company and see where the nearest factory warranty center is. I mention this because some of the brands we warranty, we are the only one within 200 miles that will do warranty work on them, and we are in Southern California meaning we cover what, over 3 million people?

As far as the gas is concerned, first of all seeing you are in Iowa (my wife has family scattered all over Iowa) DO NOT use the cheaper, higher ethonol content gas. it may be fine for cars but anything over 10% ethonol WILL cause fuel related issues AND void your warranty. No need to run dry before storage either as long as you keep your fuel treated with a good fuel stabalizer, such as the Marine Grade Sta-bil or Star-Tron. Even when you "run it out of gas" there is still a little left in the carburetor that will more than likely cause problems during long term storage.

If you have any questions or need advice feel free to PM me.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlevel42 View Post
I have a Black Max with about 70 hours on it. No problems. Noise isn't a factor. I believe it says it is rated at 8500 starting, either 6500 0r 7000 continuous. Genuine Honda engine. When I bought it, it cost $999 plus tax. I have used it on the farm, running table saws, a 12" planer, sawzall, skill saw, etc. Never bogs down, starts right up either with rope or starter. It is relatively noisy. For those who say you get what you pay for, I'm not willing to pay an extra $3K for noise reduction. As for longevity, I can buy an extra one for reserve and still have less than half what an equivalent size Honda brand costs. The only thing I could not speak to is extended running time under load. The 70 or so hours on mine has probably been done with just short bursts of loaded running.
So how does this compare to 1800 hrs of nearly full load running over a 8 year period? When ya get to them hrs @ nearly full load lemme know, this brethren is lookin for something proven and dependable. I don't think there is any gasoline generator out there that surpasses the prover performance of the Onans. I got a husky 2250 which is made with the same overseas mentality yours is, and have had great success with it early, after 2 years, nothing but problems, maintainance and repairs. I would honestly love to be corrected on my $.02
If your gonna buy something, buy it for a lifetime, not just a few years. It always catches up to you
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote