MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
tb80
Take a breath!

Default Boston Butt Question

I have about an 8.5 pound bone-in boston butt thawing out in the fridge right now. Could I cut that in half and cook two separate butts? Any problems with this? I wanted to try two different methods and possibly cut down on the cooking time?
tb80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

I would leave it whole and just go with the hot and fast method instead of low and slow, and foil it when it hits 160 internal to speed it up a bit. Butts are pretty forgiving.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

No reason you can't do that.
I don't know that it'll cut down on cooking time all that much, the meat itself will take a certain amount of time to properly render out. You'll likely get some reduction in cook time, but not what you're thinking. In other words, if you take a 10 lb butt and cut it into 2-5 lb butts, you're not going to reduce the cooking time by half. While it is true that the mass of a piece of meat does affect how long it takes it to heat through, it has less to do with the process of rendering out connective tissue and getting to that tenderness that is pulled pork.

If you want to reduce cook time, bump up the cook temp and/or wrap in foil after you get the color you want. This will reduce the time in "the stall" and get you to tender glory quicker.

Good luck!

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
tb80
Take a breath!

Thanks for the input guys. I may just cook it whole and see how it does. May have to try it out in my MINI-WSM.
tb80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

I would perosnally do the butt whole instead of cutting it down since it is just an 8lber. Pork butts are relatively cheap so trying different methods isn't too bad for future cooks. I do my pork butts in my Mini WSM and they turn out great no matter what method you use, hot and fast or low and slow.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

If you cut it in half, you can have more bark! Hope you'll post pr0n from the mini wsm!! :)

Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

It will speed up the cook time a bit though, we have had to do this while vending at an event one time...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

It will cook faster and you get twice the bark.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Cook it whole. Won't be that too bad of a cook.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote