Fleur de sel

big brother smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I recently bought 5lbs. of this salt after perusing through a thread on Adam Perry Lang. I am a BBQ addict, so if there is something I have not tried, I am all over it.

I eagerly anticipated trying this salt on a few bros at the SOCAL Bash and to my surprise there was a noticable differenece in taste. The taste took some various pieces of ribeys steaks and pork chops to a whole new level.

I am going to incorporate this salt into my catering this season for various primal cuts of beef we cook.

I also and going to be spreading a little on my cutting board at the carving station as suggested by Poohbah in the aforementioned thread.

So, for those of you looking for something wonderful give it a try :thumb:

Fleur de sel ("Flower of salt" in French) is a hand-harvested sea salt collected by workers who scrape only the top layer of salt before it sinks to the bottom of large salt pans. Traditional French fleur de sel is collected off the coast of Brittany (most notably in the towns of Guérande - Fleur de Sel de Guérande, hand harvested from salt marsh water being the most revered), Noirmoutier, and also Camargue. It is an artisanal food product. Due to its relative scarcity, Fleur de sel is one of the more expensive salts.
Fleur de sel is often slightly grey due to the sand collected in the process of harvesting the salt from the pans. On occasion, the presence of Dunaliella salina (a type of pink microalgae commonly found in salt marshes) can give it a light pink tint. It is usually sold in sealed jars.

since you like the first tip... heres the rest.. also, on the cutting board.. before the flur de sel, Pour some olive oil on it.. then rub a few garlic cloves, and any fresh herbs you would deem appropriate. For prime rib, I always rub garlic and marjoram.. rosemary sometimes(depends ont he rub i use)... for filet mignon, i rub garlic and tarragon, leg of lamb gets mint, etc... Take the herbs, bunch them together and rub the oils onto the cutting board. Then set them aside, fine dice them on the corner of the cutting board, add a little EVOO to the heap, and as you slice, keep spreading the herb a little at a time into the slicing area. Adds both a great flavor, and a nice/professional touch to guests as they watch.. especially those sneaking stuff off the board.. (I always have some cubes in the corner for the excited ones:)

I use quite a bit of it, it's a popular sea salt with a mellow flavor. Very tasty on all types of meat. It's also much better for you than iodized/refined salt. Apparently sea salts do not increase blood pressure like iodized/refined salt does.

I don't typically use it in rubs because it has a higher moisture content than iodized/refined salt and clumps up a bit - but I would like to.

I use it for a finishing flavor in all of my cooking. I got hooked on it when Penzey's carried it. They then quit but I see in my last catalog they have it back by popular demand.

I use quite a bit of it, it's a popular sea salt with a mellow flavor. Very tasty on all types of meat. It's also much better for you than iodized/refined salt. Apparently sea salts do not increase blood pressure like iodized/refined salt does.

I don't typically use it in rubs because it has a higher moisture content than iodized/refined salt and clumps up a bit - but I would like to.

Yes Sea Salt has less SODIUM than the salt we were raised on...Much better for you, in Moderation of course LOL!!!Fleur de sel huh??, I must try this stuff...This is the second time I've heard of this type of Specialty Salt....Thanks Bro'

well, looky, looky, BBS done got some religion. He's speaking in tongues.

Seriously, thanks for the info, Steph.

since you like the first tip... heres the rest.. also, on the cutting board.. before the flur de sel, Pour some olive oil on it.. then rub a few garlic cloves, and any fresh herbs you would deem appropriate. For prime rib, I always rub garlic and marjoram.. rosemary sometimes(depends ont he rub i use)... for filet mignon, i rub garlic and tarragon, leg of lamb gets mint, etc... Take the herbs, bunch them together and rub the oils onto the cutting board. Then set them aside, fine dice them on the corner of the cutting board, add a little EVOO to the heap, and as you slice, keep spreading the herb a little at a time into the slicing area. Adds both a great flavor, and a nice/professional touch to guests as they watch.. especially those sneaking stuff off the board.. (I always have some cubes in the corner for the excited ones:)

I am going to try this soon. I got a wedding on 3/12 and this is the wow factor, I am going to bring for some special clients :cool:

I love the stuff, I use it to sprinkle on things as opposed to as an ingredient.

Geurry, it is great on sprouts, brussel sprouts that is. :p

I love Fleur de Sel for finishing, it is to pricey for me to use as a rug ingredient. It does taste a little different depending on when and where it comes from.

Poobah gave away one of the techniques I use when cooking meats for other folks, I like to season the board, I tell people I am garnishing to make it look better. Oddly, it does help with flavor once the meat is sliced.

Back