MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
SkinEz
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Skinny

So I go talk to the health department, and I feel pretty good about it. We talked about all the different types of options, and he wants me to lay out a plan for each of the options. I am pretty sure my church will let me use their kitchen in the event I need a commercial kitchen. However, I am really leaning towards looking seriously into a trailer with everything in it I need. In the case I do not have to depend on my church. As long as I have refrigeration, hand washing sink, and a three sink set up, he said everything else is academic. I am going to draw up some different ideas about trailers, and look for some used trailers already out there. I have been keeping my eye on some that are on a used concession website that may fit my needs. My only concern is storage. Does anyone have a layout for a trailer to use more for concession/ catering. I have seen tons of set ups for competition rigs, but they do not have sufficient storage.

Thanks

Merry Christmas..
SkinEz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
skywalker
Knows what a fatty is.

Lots of wise counseling info here. Considering same direction as Skinez.Was thinking about trailer with smoker on the back porch.Smaller investment than brick & mortar with portability and onsite catering options.
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
SkinEz

Heres a new question that has recently entered into my.options. If I have a transportable trailer with refrigeration, and need it running from point a to point b, whats a good way to do that? A food truck can run off of engine, but what about a trailer. I am no way an electrician, and really have no idea. I plan on a generator on site, but im concerned with HD saying something without option to keep refrigerators running in transport.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

The only way that I know of is to have a generator running it.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
SkinEz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
The only way that I know of is to have a generator running it.
Can you do that, and run down the road?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I don't see why you can't have your generator running while going down the road. What are your concerns about doing this?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #37
SkinEz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
I don't see why you can't have your generator running while going down the road. What are your concerns about doing this?
Dont really have concerns other than legallity. Me and the HD guy im talking with talked about that briefly. His answer was that is not his lane. I appreciated his honesty, but I dont want to run into silly SNAFUs like im reading on other threads. Was just seeing if anyone had any experience with this type of thing.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #38
skywalker
Knows what a fatty is.

"Not his lane" from HD guy sounds strangely familiar to" don't ask don't tell". But i guess as long as you're at proper temp when you unplug fridge to travel and trip is not to long ,you're still ok.But i think running the generator while traveling would probably be the way to go.Most fridges/freezers in an RV will run on 110v household current, 12v battery or propane.You can get larger units that run on propane but you're probably not gonna find a NSF cert on one of those.
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #39
Scorcher
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Dry ice on bagged ice will keep your temps low for 4 hours or more.
Running with gen operating can present some issues. Carbon monoxcide build up. Exhuast heat build up. I would find another way. Possibly go with a full fledged RV 3 way. Safer.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #40
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe you can look into existing established businesses up for sale in your area.As previous stated posts it`s a tough business and maybe someone had grand visions or time for retirement.Might be a shoe-in to get immediate clients depending on their reputation.Starting new endeavors means sometimes taking away business from others or on the catering side under cutting the competitors pricing thus lowering your profits.If you do full catering you should make friends with local rental companies.On a smaller note, should you want to start small and have room in your garage a commercial grade 2-3 door stand up refrigerator can be run when needed for food storage.On larger well paying jobs my brother rents refer. trucks but his rest. is not open for dinner so he has a large staff if necessary.Long days sometimes but he is so well established it`s almost(and I mean to say almost) like clock work.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #41
SkinEz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Dry ice on bagged ice will keep your temps low for 4 hours or more.
Running with gen operating can present some issues. Carbon monoxcide build up. Exhuast heat build up. I would find another way. Possibly go with a full fledged RV 3 way. Safer.
Even if the generator is on outside of trailer?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #42
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

We leave our generator running on the porch all the time, if we are driving a distance we even tie it down, otherwise, never a problem
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #43
Murray in N.Z.

SkinEz. Plenty of large trailers are trucking down the highways with auxiliary chiller units running all the way... all powered by small diesel motors. So long as its well vented it wont be a problem. I would suggest looking at an ONAN ... plenty of cheaper/lighter units around but they will give a lifetime of reliable use. You might even be able to get a cheap unit from a bus/trailer/truck wrecker. One of mates imported a school bus an it had one on board to power the heater fans ... useless for us as we run 240V but it was surprising where these things are.

Muzza .... back in N.Z. now.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #44
Fooskey
Got Wood.

We run our Onan going down the road quite a bit. Some events have a short set up window, and having things more or less ready to go is very helpful.
Fooskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #45
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Talking to a guy I know. His boys went out to Wyoming and killed and elk. They had the animal processed. They put it in there chest freezer and had a Honda generator to power the freezer. The trailer sat on an angle just enough to trigger the low oil sensor and shut down. When they got home they had a spoiled elk in there chest freezer.
Just something else to think about.

We had Onan gasoline powered generators on our pumpers and rescue trucks at my former job. We had remote starts in the cab. We would start it a mile down the road for lighting to do our work. Never had a problem with exhaust problems even with the compartment doors closed.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
business, catering, concession