MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Default KCBS Judging Class

Going to Kennesaw Ga in the morning for the judging class. I cant wait to go. Those of you that have already been to the class, what do you think was the best lesson learned from the class?

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Hi Matt -

When I took the class, what I was impressed with were the discussions that take place after each round of practice judging. All kinds of people have all kinds of ideas about how to judge BBQ. By the end of the class, all (well, most) of the people there were judging well within the same ranges for each sample.

All-in-all, it was a lot of fun. I am thinking about taking another one, just for a tune up and because it was fun.

Have a good time there in Kennesaw . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
dwmckay99
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree about the discussion. The most important thing, really, was getting an idea of the scoring system and the sort of score inflation that occurs and is expected.

I might have had a different experience from others, but I had expected to see some real "competition" BBQ, but didn't. Great morning and afternoon, though. Fun class.
dwmckay99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
jocosa
Full Fledged Farker

I barely missed the list for the Kennesaw class, heard they're hoping to offer it again later in the year. Will register super early whenever the next class is!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

The scoring system the biggest reason for me taking the class. I would like to have a better understanding of that part of comps. Also I must admit the time of fellowship will be great also, meeting new people in always great.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

For me the class was more about what to expect when judging, I really did the learning by judging. The class helped by knowing what standard the teams try to achieve as far as properly cooked. Judging has been fun the few I have done. You will have fun.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
dwmckay99
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
The scoring system the biggest reason for me taking the class. I would like to have a better understanding of that part of comps. Also I must admit the time of fellowship will be great also, meeting new people in always great.
I signed up for the class for that reason, to get an idea of the scoring system. Teams take this stuff very seriously, which makes me glad that the judging is double blind. I don't want to get shot for giving somebody a 6 when they expect an 8.
dwmckay99 is offline   Reply With Quote