MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
Yader
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default BBQ Book

Have any recommendations on the best book(s) out there for BBQ? A short few sentences explaining the book would be very helpful! There's too many on Amazon and at Barnes and Noble. Figured you'd be able to narrow it down!

I enjoy reading...working my way through many of the threads here, sometimes paper is just more fun. Plus, getting my Q all over that is better than the mac!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I just this weekend ordered 'Peace Love and Barbecue', 'Smoke & Spice', 'Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue', and 'Mastering the Craft of Smoking Food' from Amazon..

I did a search in the forum and these were the ones most recommended.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang is outstanding! Here is a review of the book that I wrote back in September

-----

Let me just cut through the fat and get right to the point regarding the book Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. Get it, read it and use it!

This is, if not the best, certainly one of the best barbecue and grilling books I have ever read. This isn't really all that surprising, given that it's written by a CIA-trained chef-turned-BBQ-guy. Adding to Adam's long list of credentials and accolades, his pork shoulder took first place at the prestigious American Royal Invitational BBQ competition (a.k.a. "The World Series of BBQ"). He also owns Daisy May’s BBQ U.S.A. in New York City, which was named "the Height of Pit Cuisine" by Food & Wine Magazine. So, this guy has serious barbecue and grilling chops!

One of the complaints that I have read about this book is that Adam's recipes are "too complicated" and that they use "too many fancy ingredients". I disagree with those sentiments and prefer to look at it differently. This is a cookbook that will push the bounds of your typical backyard live-fire cooking. The techniques and layering of flavors will push you out of your comfort zone, and the beautiful photographs make you want to try the recipes.

I could go on and on about how good this book is, but the "Smoke, Char, Baste, and Brush Your Way to Great Outdoor Cooking" subtitle really sums it up nicely. If you want to expand your horizons and learn to take your barbecue and grilling to new heights, get this book.

-----

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Peace,Love and BBQ is my favorite. Lots of bbq history,some great stories with a few good recipes thrown in.

Last edited by Skidder; 11-18-2009 at 05:13 AM..
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Peace Love and BBQ, and any of Dr. BBQ's books. I've read all of these several times.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #6
smokestack
Full Fledged Farker

I have the first 3 mentioned by Blackened-all very good
UDS slowly in the works
smokestack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Great books for grilling would be any of the Weber Grilling books .
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Just this weekend I threw out my old "Smoke and Spice"; useless really. Paul Kirks
book is pretty good, and has a few decent get-ya-started recipes for rubs, sauces,
etc. I kept that one...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

I second the recommendation for Ray Lampe's (Dr BBQ) books, I have 3.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #10
ljh34465
is one Smokin' Farker

use the search function at the bottom - there have been several threads on this subject here on the forum
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

One might mention, a well worded question or two here might save you tens of dollars
in books. Plus, you might get some humorous "what not to do" along the way that
are just as helpful as what to do...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #12
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Peace Love & bBQ - Just fantatic its like an epic love story on BBQ
Serious BBQ- The recipes are great and if you like lamb you will be rewarded with a lot of recipes for it.
Karen Putnam Championship BBQ - THis book is not frilly it is straightforward and jam packed with recipes from the FLower of the flames. Some of the best sauces I have made came from this book. It is fantastic.
Ray Lampe - Big Time BBQ book. Just a decent read and good recipes.
Americas Best BBQ 100 recipes- There are some really killer recipes in this book
Ted Reader- For any recipes for Planking this guy has been there and done that.
She Smoke- this is a new book from Julie Reinhardt. IT has some fantastic advice and great recipes
Smoke n Spice- Can't recommend this one enough. it is awesome for thoroughly covering BBQ styles and a plethora of recipes to keep anyone happy for years to come.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Ray's books are very good and the recipes are not intimidating. I suggest using the look inside feature on Amazon and see if the categories look appealing to you.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #14
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Today it's Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. At other times it was Smoke and Spice and Peace, Love and BBQ.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #15
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Just this weekend I threw out my old "Smoke and Spice"; useless really...
Interesting, care to explain why? The reason I like S&S is because it has styles, concepts, and ideas I would not normally try.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote