MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
IFlyEm
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Best Offset (Direct or Reverse) other than Shirley (2 years is too long of a wait)

Buddy of mine is looking for an offset. We wants to only buy it once so I figured I would ask here.

If you could pick one smoker strictly on the quality of the the smoker and it's results what would it be? We have a couple builders around here like J.H. Smokers (Justin is going to be building mine) but they are fairly new to the seen and he's wanting something more "proven."

I was thinking LSG or maybe Klose? He keeps looking at Langs. But they don't seem overly popular on here.

Thoughts?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Plenty of Good Ones . Lone Star Grillz is Hot Right Now.
Klose, Pitmaker, Kat, Outlaw, Johnson, many more
J&H out there in Cali is a small timer putting out some Nice Pits.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-17-2018 at 10:51 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
SmittyJonz

Stare at this for a few Days......

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=186946

Old 07-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
IFlyEm
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree. JH is doing mine soon.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
IFlyEm
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Plenty of Good Ones . Lone Star Grillz is Hot Right Now.
Klose, Pitmaker, Kat, Outlaw, many more
J&H out there in Cali is a small timer putting out some Nice Pits.
Now you have to pick one.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
SmittyJonz

Lang are Good but Not Higher End.....

There’s a Guy who split from R&O and making BadAzz Pits but forget the Name of his Brand.
Here it is - EL Rey - just South if Dallas Ft Worth

https://m.facebook.com/El-Rey-Smokers-550687375015393/

Old 07-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
SmittyJonz

A Johnson double reverse flow T Pit is one of my Dream Smokers........

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/20-t-pit/

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/24-t-pit/

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyEm View Post
He keeps looking at Langs. But they don't seem overly popular on here.

Thoughts?
I've done a ton of research on this subject over the past few months and there are plenty of folks that love Lang Smokers, a bunch of winning competitors over the years, and at least one highly regarded Pitmaster/Restaurant owner (Bill Durney) who use them. I'm not sure why they don't get much love here, but I wouldn't disregard them for that reason.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
tnev35
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Thomas

I have a Lang 48 patio. I highly recommend!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicket View Post
I've done a ton of research on this subject over the past few months and there are plenty of folks that love Lang Smokers, a bunch of winning competitors over the years, and at least one highly regarded Pitmaster/Restaurant owner (Bill Durney) who use them. I'm not sure why they don't get much love here, but I wouldn't disregard them for that reason.
They Work. Cook Good but fit n finish is Not on par with the Nicer Ones. Warmers are Tiny and you don’t have the options/custom things Nicer pits offer. There was a Shirley thread the other day and a Brethren who cooks on both a Lang and a Shirley said Shirley by a long shot.
Cabinet style doors have become Real Popular- what I’d want.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

I would get a Built Rite Smoker. Donnie Boston does a good job (just kidding, he's a crook and a thief).

After having a Klose for a year. Here's my opinion.

I would pick a properly designed and drafting pit over fancy welds. I think these traditional pits like Gator and Klose are well built, but poorly designed. By "poorly" I mean they do work, but there's better designs out there. They (gator/klose) just have not evolved. Going forward for me, any traditional flow pit with that needs tuning plates or has the exhaust on top is a deal killer. The tuning plates kill convection and draft so you're now cooking with radiant heat. Might as well get a reverse flow. At least with a reverse flow you would still get convection and a draft. Then, the exhaust on top sucks all your draft right out the top instead of evenly across. That might be OK on larger pits. I'm convinced its a bad on small backyard pits.

For backyard pits my choices would be:

Moberg (he quit making them just now), the new LSG (even though I think its ugly as hell), Pitmaker Hitman or Sniper, Jambo, Outlaw Smokers. Im sure theres others out there. Maybe even keep an eye out for the new Franklin pits. I'd look for topflow design with side exhaust. I have not seen a Lang in action, but think a poorly built Lang might perform better than a well built Gator full of tuning plates.

Just my opinion.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

I'd second waiting onthe Franklin pits as they could be coming or or look for a used Shirley.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

I've got a Lang 36 Stretch that I love!
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I would get a Built Rite Smoker. Donnie Boston does a good job (just kidding, he's a crook and a thief).

After having a Klose for a year. Here's my opinion.

I would pick a properly designed and drafting pit over fancy welds. I think these traditional pits like Gator and Klose are well built, but poorly designed. By "poorly" I mean they do work, but there's better designs out there. They (gator/klose) just have not evolved. Going forward for me, any traditional flow pit with that needs tuning plates or has the exhaust on top is a deal killer. The tuning plates kill convection and draft so you're now cooking with radiant heat. Might as well get a reverse flow. At least with a reverse flow you would still get convection and a draft. Then, the exhaust on top sucks all your draft right out the top instead of evenly across. That might be OK on larger pits. I'm convinced its a bad on small backyard pits.

For backyard pits my choices would be:

Moberg (he quit making them just now), the new LSG (even though I think its ugly as hell), Pitmaker Hitman or Sniper, Jambo, Outlaw Smokers. Im sure theres others out there. Maybe even keep an eye out for the new Franklin pits. I'd look for topflow design with side exhaust. I have not seen a Lang in action, but think a poorly built Lang might perform better than a well built Gator full of tuning plates.

Just my opinion.
That's a very interesting opinion ya just threw out there...and know I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm assuming ya have experience with both "direct flow" and "reverse flow"? Please expand if ya could! It's these types of opinions and discussion that really bring out the experience and the "been there, done that" of the forum!

For example...
I'm getting ready to throw a deposit down on a traditional smoker, something around 72" long. I'm not interested in even grate temps hence..."direct flow".

With that said, ya seem to have some thoughts on the designs of such and I doubt I would be the only one who would like to hear yers and others.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #15
locosmoke
On the road to being a farker

St louis bbq store has shirley patio models for sale now on website. https://www.stlbbqstore.com/shirley-...ation-smokers/