bacon smoke in progress. Help with temperatures?

laveen1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
9:30 PM Eastern.
I have shut the vents down to almost all closed (Weber 22" kettle). The bacon has been smoking for about 1 1/2 hrs now. The grill temp is up to 130, the meat is at 88. It will probably continue to climb. I'll open the lid and bring the grill temp down, but I don't think this can qualify as cold smoke! Should I let the meat get up to (?) 130? 140? 150?, or should I try to keep it around where it is?

9:45 PM Eastern - Opening the lid didn't help

9:45 PM Eastern - Opening the lid didn't help. To my suprise the temps jumped up a little. The grill is at 150, the bacon is 102 (small piece).

Temps will go up when you raise the lid - more airflow = higher temps. I'm still pretty new to smoking bacon, but I've taken the IT to 150 and I've taken it to 127 - got good results with both. Cold smoking is a lot lower temp - I wouldn't know exactly what 'cause in SoCal we don't get cold enough ambient temps to do that, which is a bummer. Last weekend I ran cooker temps between 135-150.

I'm assuming you've used either Instacure #1 or Tenderquick for this, correct? That is what enables you to keep pork in the "danger zone" for an extended period.

Thirdeye has a mighty fine blog you may get some good info from.

There's been a bunch of bacon love the past couple weeks, so search around a little and you should find some great threads - there's a search box at the bottom of the page.

Good luck!

well, the it of the bacon is up to 135, the grill is 188

:roll:It's been smoking now for 2 1/2 hrs and the it of the bacon is up to 135, the grill is up to 188. I guess at this point I should just let the IT go up to 150. Even though I cured it I don't want to mess around with these temps. Maybe if I decide to get an actual smoker I can do some "cold" smoking.

You can COLD smoke with ANY cooker.All you need is an empty bean can,woodchips and a soldering iron.:wink: If it's hot outside,fill a pan with ice to sit under whatever you are COLD smoking.

You are hot smoking, not cold smoking.

If you have used a curing salt on the bacon, take it up to 150F internal. If not, take it up to 165F Internal. Let the grill temp get to 200-225F. That will get you done faster. You've alread been on for 2.5 hours, so time to get it done.

Cheers!

Bill

Pork fat starts rendering at temps above 85F. I do not monitor the internal temperature of my bacon when "cold" smoking... I monitor the temperature of my smokehouse to keep it below that level while cold smoking bacons and hams.
I don't want them to be cooked...just "cold" smoked.

My last batch cold smoked for 17 hrs...
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2011/12/smokehouse-cold-smoked-bacon.html

What cure recipe for bacon is OK for a 17 hour smoke? How can I tell if my cure is adequate?

Back