Who has tried a Pellet Pooper and Not Liked it. ?

I've got a question for the pellet owners. My wife's uncle bought a Pitboss two weeks ago and as we were assembling it we noticed in the owners manual it stated the unit would last approximately two years. We thought we both had read it wrong, so we re-read it several times and sure enough. Right there in the owners manual it states the shelf life on the unit is 2 years. This can't be true can it?

On the Cheaper units 2-3 years seems about right from what I’ve been seeing - Sure some have had Cheap Ones last longer. On better Units I’ve seen people with Units 5-6-8 years Old- could be some 10+ .?

I've got a question for the pellet owners. My wife's uncle bought a Pitboss two weeks ago and as we were assembling it we noticed in the owners manual it stated the unit would last approximately two years. We thought we both had read it wrong, so we re-read it several times and sure enough. Right there in the owners manual it states the shelf life on the unit is 2 years. This can't be true can it?

If I had to guess I'd say they went with this because of the igniter they use. The higher end units are using ceramic indirect style igniters and they last a LOOOOONNG time. The old style igniters have always had a short life.

I'm enjoying this thread. With enough comments it helps future buyers know which pellet units are more reliable and put out a better smoke profile. Of course.....at the first it was looking like which ones NOT to get period. LOL!

On the man card thing. I like kidding around like that too. Heck, if what somebody said caused me so much stress as to make me feel the need to defend my manhood.....I think I may have already lost it.:p

One time I wore a Dress to my Man Card Club Meeting just to Fark with them.........and to air out the boys........ :mrgreen:

On the Cheaper units 2-3 years seems about right from what I’ve been seeing - Sure some have had Cheap Ones last longer. On better Units I’ve seen people with Units 5-6-8 years Old- could be some 10+ .?

He bought the Pit Boss 820-sq in Two-tone copper and black high temperature powder coat Pellet Grill for $499. I have no idea if that's considered a "cheaper one". But I'd hate to know I spent $500 on something that the manufacturer claims is only going to last two years. :sick:

He bought the Pit Boss 820-sq in Two-tone copper and black high temperature powder coat Pellet Grill for $499. I have no idea if that's considered a "cheaper one". But I'd hate to know I spent $500 on something that the manufacturer claims is only going to last two years. :sick:

It is.......Pellet Poopers are Expensive........that’s my problem - don’t want a Cheapo and can’t Afford a Good One. :twitch:

Last edited:

It's a typo— Should read, 2 months.

In all honesty, no cooker is perfect.
dump_zps1rkj5h5e.jpg

That's NOT what they mean with a reverse sear!

I’ve had my GMG Daniel Boone for a little over a year. It’s great from ease of cooking, but impossible to get the deep smoke flavor. Amazin tube added and it helps a little, but that’s really not giving you a clean blue smoke and only a little more smoke flavor. Need a burning log for the real flavor. Looking for my fist stick burner

Two Words: Software Update:shock:
OK-here's the story. I burn charcoal and wood chunks in my WSM and a good buddy recently bought a nice, large, expensive Brand X Pellet Pooper. He goes on and on about how easy it is, set it and forget it, control it from his I phone when he's away etc. So of course, in good fun, I go on and on about surrendering his man card, cooking with sawdust and glue, and might as well go to the local BBQ joint and bring home a few slabs. Needless to say we have a blast jabbing at each other. The things must put out decent Q, I guess, or there wouldn't be so many sold.
The real kicker here was when he was away one day, with a smoker full of food for a big party that evening, he came back home to a smoker that had shut down. After frantically trying to figure out what was wrong and getting tech support from Brand X on the phone, (tech support for a smoker? Something's wrong about that), he was informed that the company had pushed a SOFTWARE UPDATE through, effectively shutting down his cook. We will never let him live that one down. In fact, Software Update is his new nick name.

Back