MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy
Default Backwoods flavor.

Im starting to believe im just not a charcoal fan. I've tried all sorts of different charcoal and im not loving it. I miss my klose.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

I wouldn't give up. Do a little research on the different kinds. A good place to start is here.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

Old 03-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I have that same problem sometimes on my Pit Barrel. I tend to prefer the taste of Stubbs or good lump (like Rockwood). KBB and RO briquettes I feel leave more of a charcoal taste.

Also, this seems to happen more when I am trying to choke down temps and don't allow a clean burning fire.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

don't give up brother...
have you tried a quality lump or all natural briquette? i load more wood chunks than most in my insulated cabinet to increase the smoke flavor. give us some more details on how you run the cooker...water...in pans...how much wood to charcoal ratio...maze.

if you have not tried the HEB Grand Champion charcoal give it a try. it is cheap for a natural briq (no chemicals). if you want to try a bag of the weber natural briqs i can give you a bag as i have several.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

I have used KBB in my chicken cooker and if you let it burn long enough to get good and hot the smoke and charcoal flavor dies down, just need a few chunks of wood then to get a nice flavor.

Larry

Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

I actually did a mini brisket with the champion heb yesterday. I thought it was good until my judge (5 yr old) said Rudy's is better. Lol

I have a maze set up. 70% charcoal. 30%. Yesterday I ran without water because it's hard to tell if it's clean with the steam coming out of the stack.

Previously I've tried fogo. Some how it got moisture in the bag. Kbb. I think it's partially an issue of not running a clean enough fire. The basket is warped causing parts to be to close to the heat deflector. Maybe a new basket and less fiddling around would help? Oh yesterday I used hickery. Maybe I should try a lighter wood.

Last edited by Burn; 07-31-2021 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe I use more wood. About a chunk every 2 to 3 inches.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
Im starting to believe im just not a charcoal fan. I've tried all sorts of different charcoal and im not loving it. I miss my klose.
What are you cooking on? What ever it is, there are people here who can give you advice. On my kettles, if I catch the temp I want on the way up, I get a clean burn. If the vents are choked down to lower the temp or because too much charcoal is started, problems can occur.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

And im cooking on a backwoods 3400. I had a tiny custom klose. It was good but to heavy when i moved. Then I had a tiny wsm but I was always running it hot and got rid of it. The chubby will hold temp but like I said it's hard to tell if it's a clean fire with the water pan.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

More wood. People think I am crazy when they see me charcoal basket. In my UDS basket I will have 10 fist size chunks in it.

I also find a higher temp helps with charcoal, 275 or more.

I have done many side by sides of charcoal and no one could taste the difference between lump/briquettes. Only time people noticed is when I ran straight charcoal and no wood.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
pjtexas1

Quote:
And im cooking on a backwoods 3400. I had a tiny custom klose. It was good but to heavy when i moved. Then I had a tiny wsm but I was always running it hot and got rid of it. The chubby will hold temp but like I said it's hard to tell if it's a clean fire with the water pan.
my cabinet never runs 100% clear even without water. i believe this is because of the limited airflow. if you want to know if your fire is good run your fingers thru the exhaust fumes and smell your fingers. if it smells like an ash tray then do not put your food in. once it smells good coming out of the exhaust it is safe to add your food. i like pecan most in my cabinet. i lay enough chunks on top of the charcoal maze that it is hard to see the charcoal sometimes. my chunks resemble very tiny splits (long and skinny). they are not fist size chunks.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

pjtexas1 do you run the wood under the charcoal or on top. I've been using the knuckle sized chunks.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #13
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Man.... I hate to say it.. I don't like charcoal. Never really tried lump instead.... only a couple times didn't like how it burned in the WSM. I have tried every brand of charcoal available with many many cooks on the WSM.. Everyone around me loved everything that came off of it.. and I just shook my head knowing I could taste the difference in flavors from cooking on my offset.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
pjtexas1

Quote:
pjtexas1 do you run the wood under the charcoal or on top. I've been using the knuckle sized chunks.
i lay the wood chunks on top. in my mind it works better that way because heat rises.

what about the flavor do you not like? is it bitter or is the smoke flavor too light?

Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not really a charcoal "fan" either, though sometimes I'll compromise flavor profile for convenience and do briskets or butts on my Primo XL instead of the stick burner. I can always taste the charcoal - even good stuff like Rockwood (light years beyond briquettes or a cheap lump though) but it just has a different flavor profile. If the only thing that'll satisfy you is a wood fire, then that's going to be the only way to go IMO.

Thanks from: --->