MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Wagu

All this talk about using wagu brisket at contest makes me wonder if contest are getting a little wacky. The whole thing about cooking a brisket, used to be about taking an almost worthless cut of meat and turning it into something fabulous, instead of taking a fabulous cut of meat and turning it into something fabulous.

Some of us can't even get our hands on a wague let a lone afford one. I think the KCBS should disallow the use of them in contest and make a prime the highest grade that can be used, to help level the playing field but then I guess they would have to outlaw pellet cookers as well.
Dave

Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKC View Post
Ooops, thought this was a thread about Elmer Fudd's new spaghetti sauce.
took me a second.....thats hilarious

There is no magic bullet when it comes to comp bbq. Myron does well with waygu........but I'd bet that he could make even select a winner.
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
All this talk about using wagu brisket at contest makes me wonder if contest are getting a little wacky. The whole thing about cooking a brisket, used to be about taking an almost worthless cut of meat and turning it into something fabulous, instead of taking a fabulous cut of meat and turning it into something fabulous.

Some of us can't even get our hands on a wague let a lone afford one. I think the KCBS should disallow the use of them in contest and make a prime the highest grade that can be used, to help level the playing field but then I guess they would have to outlaw pellet cookers as well.
Dave

I thought the point was to turn out the best product possible. I'll agree that in some ways things have been pushed to an extreme though.

I just don't see the use of Wagyu being a major issue though. I've been able to find it at prices that are competitive with USDA Prime brisket. Shipping costs can be steep, but so is having to buy a case of Prime brisket to just get a couple pieces so that a retailer will be willing to order it for me.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
big brother smoke

Waygu don't guarantee chit! I have used Waygus in comps. My best finish has been with a choice packer.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

It's still the same cut of meat, but just from a specific breed. Sounds like someone must be getting tired of winter.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
It's still the same cut of meat, but just from a specific breed. Sounds like someone must be getting tired of winter.
Yep I just lit up my smoker and have a brisket and butt ready to go. It is crazy nasty outside rain, wind and sleet but these are about the same comp conditions Capital City cookoff in Jefferson City had the first contest they put on. I was not going to cook today but thought I mite as well getter done, cause the weather may not be this nice when I cook the contest.
Dave
PS its not a wagu brisket.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Dave,
Schulte's Fresh Foods in Jeff City is now carrying whole PRIME GRADE packers. They run about $3.99/lb. If you want any for the Capital City Cook-Off you better call Scott and order them to make sure he has enough in stock for you to get what you need.
I called and ordered a case yesterday and he said he had three cases coming in for next week. I would imagine that when folks get the drift that he is selling Prime then they will start disappearing more quickly. His number is 573-636-8413. Schulte's Fresh Foods- ask for Scott in the meat dept.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
Dave,
Schulte's Fresh Foods in Jeff City is now carrying whole PRIME GRADE packers. They run about $3.99/lb. .
Wow. That's a lot of jack for a choice brisket. Are you serious? I typically pay ~$25 for ~13# brisket at Sams.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Waygu don't guarantee chit! I have used Waygus in comps. My best finish has been with a choice packer.
I totally, totally, totally agree !!!!.. I've cooked nothing but C.A.B.'s and don't see a need to switch !!!
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
Wow. That's a lot of jack for a choice brisket. Are you serious? I typically pay ~$25 for ~13# brisket at Sams.
I never said anything about Choice briskets. I said Prime. IMO you get what you pay for. sam's sometimes has ok meat, but I can buy better from other places. So far the best brisket I've had is Certified Herford Beef. Awesome stuff.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"

Last edited by River City Smokehouse; 03-20-2010 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
swamprb

Wow! What's that saying to the American farmers and cattlemen raising the breed?

http://www.wagyu.org/wagyu.htm

http://www.wagyu.org/default.htm
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Is It Ready Yet?
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
Dave,
Schulte's Fresh Foods in Jeff City is now carrying whole PRIME GRADE packers. They run about $3.99/lb. If you want any for the Capital City Cook-Off you better call Scott and order them to make sure he has enough in stock for you to get what you need.
I called and ordered a case yesterday and he said he had three cases coming in for next week. I would imagine that when folks get the drift that he is selling Prime then they will start disappearing more quickly. His number is 573-636-8413. Schulte's Fresh Foods- ask for Scott in the meat dept.
All, when ordering a case of meat....you are picking through the case picking out the best visable cuts for comp. Where does the rest go (freezer)? Does anyone else use meat for comps that was previously frozen?

[B]XL Green Egg[/B]
[B]Medium Spicewine[/B]
[B]26.75 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]22.5 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team[/B]
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is It Ready Yet? View Post
Does anyone else use meat for comps that was previously frozen?
Briskets, yes. I wouldn't knowingly use previously frozen butts.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I never freeze except chicken and beef. The case of prime briskets is for a friend. But, I bet you can't tell the diference whether it was previously frozen. Pork for some reason isn't as forgiving.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"

Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Jeff_in_KC

Both my 2nd place and 3rd place Wagyu briskets came frozen. I'd PREFER they were never frozen but apparently it doesn't really hurt them much.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote