MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Chuck Roast

Planning on cooking my first chuck roast today as well as my first smoke while at work. Heading home around 2:00pm for my lunch which is an hour. It is a 10 mile drive each way which gives me about 40 minutes to get the smoker fired up, TBS and meat on. This could be a challenge. I have the charcoal chimney loaded, smoker loaded. I figured that instead of the usual 10 briqs I would fire around 20 to help the smoker get up to temp faster. Any other tips to help get the smoker up to temp and stabilized within 40 minutes? lol

I was going to try and prepare the chuck roast like a traditional roast w onions and potatoes (golden yukons). Once I get the chimney started the plan was to prepare the broth (onions,whole potatoes, french onion soup mix and a little beef stock) in a aluminium pan covered with foil. The beef would go on at the same time but exposed to the smoke. Once I get home I planned on checking the meat and once it hits 165 put it in the broth.

Do you all typically do the potatoes and onions this way, if not how do you prepare them? I was concerned that by the time I get home which will be about 2 to 3 hours after putting them on the smoker they will be over cooked?

Wish me luck guys.. I am a little nervous about this cook.
HOPTOAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Crock pot on Low for the veg. More briquettes hotter fire you might just over shoot, that is why it is always a great Idea to keep notes of such things. Like how far the dampers are open to achieve a certain temp until you become intimate with your pit and know it like the back of your hand. Then all you need to do is set the vents drop the chimney on top through in the meat and walk away. I get thin blue from the UDS, mini WSM, Weber kettle,from jump street. The stick burner takes a good preheat of an hr but then it isn't running on Charcoal either.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the tip on the veggies Bludawg.

A question about the dampers if you dont mind. I am using a UDS and can typically run around 250 with the ball valve opened about 60%. Instead of opening all dampers to start and then slowly shutting each one could I just open the ball valve to 60% and forget about opening the other dampers? Thanks Again

Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Here's how I do my chuckies. Works for both my UDS and WSM. I put the chuckie on at qbout 260*-275* Depends on were the unit settles. Keep it there until it hits 160* IT. Then add it to a pan of broth and veggies, cover with foil and put it back on until the roast is probe tender. Now the advice above will save you step 2 on the veggies, but you still have to cook the chuckie to probe tender. So, either way you got another 2 to 3 hours of cook time. the chuckie will braise in the sauce and really get moist and tender. I usually let the roast rest for at least 1-2 hours and then shred. I think your trying to move things along to fast to get a really good outcome. What your trying to do could have been done in a crockpot and ready for dinner. Smoking it is a whole different story. Once you have smoked chuckie, you'll break your crockpot.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Bluesman, Are the veggies uncooked when you add the meat to them?

I am asking because my wife was telling me when she does roast in the crock pot the potatos take longer than the meat to cook. Using that logic I assumed that the veggies would not be cooked in two to three hours.

Thanks Again for Your Help

Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

I should have mentioned the size of the roast as well. It is a smaller roast 2.5 lbs.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

I never add taters. I use bell peppers and onions. For a 2.5# your looking at about 2 - 2/12 hrs to 160* And then another 2 hrs in the pan. If you want the taters, use the crockpot for the veggies and smoke the meat. Then put it all together, but crank up the smoker to 300* This will get you there. On another note, get yourself an 8# chuckie and spend the day doing it the way I described.............It's heaven on earth.
Kitchen stove

Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Bluesman,

Thanks Again.

Next time the chuckie will be bigger and I will spend the day cooking it properly. I just got all excited when the wife showed up with the it. I had seen some recent posts about chuckies and I was hoping to avoid the dried out crock pot roast I am used to. I was hoping to be able to wait til this weekend to cook it but the wife said it had to be prepared within two days.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Just wanted to update the thread with some pron. Roast turned out pretty good the flavor was amazing but it was a little tough. Had the smoker running about 225 when I had to leave to get back to work. Left one valve open figuring that would get me to around 250...got home and it was sitting at 209. Got the smoker back up to around 260 waited til the roast hit 160 internal added broth potatos and onions foiled it til 195.

Seasoned with salt pepper and garlic powder

On the UDS

Hot off the smoker

Sliced

Thanks again Bludawg and Bluesman for the assistance

Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
N8man
Babbling Farker

OutStanding Smoke Ring....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yessir,you did good for a gauntlet run.If that were a briskit,you would have farkers askin for an autographed pic of the smoke ring.Hint,,,,Always cook to desired Internal Temp,regardless of cooking temp or time. Some meats will vary,especially briskets so some use the probes like butta method.Good luck and send me a plate.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Good job and nice ring.
Would it have been less tough cut the other way?looks like with the grain to me.
Maybe just the picture.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Great job. AussieTitch is right you cut with and not against the grain. That will make a difference in how tender it is. On another note, next time leave it until it probes like Buttah, forget the internal. Let it rest about an hour or so and then pull it apart. This makes the best pulled beef sammies and no grain to worry about. Now go get a really big boy and do it again...........
Kitchen stove

Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Again Everyone, sorry for the late reply had a death in the family.

The wife and I stood there debating if I had cut with the grain or against it. Once I checked in on the thread and noticed the comments about cutting with the grain instead of against I changed the cut. I started at the far left and made the cuts from left to right in the following pic. Perpendicular to the original cut. Had those cuts on some sammies..never had roast beef that good from a store.

Is that correct?

I will also get a bigger roast next time, ignore the internal temp (once it hits 165)and use the probe to determine the when it is done. The wife also prefers it pulled so next time I will try that instead of slicing.

Thanks Again Brethren!!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
koko1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

What was your total cooking time?
koko1 is offline   Reply With Quote