MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
westcoastmanz
Found some matches.

Default currently using WSM bullet looking to make the next step

Hello,

As the title reads I currently use a WSM bullet and am looking to take the next step up. I was checking out the Oklahoma Joe Bandera but seems like it requires alot of mods. My budget is around $400(one day Komodo). Any suggestions will be useful. The reason I'm looking for a different smoker is I want to cook more meat at once. Ideally don't want to tend it every hour but I'm okay if the results come out amazing. Also, curious if the 3 in 1 gas/charcoal/smoker is frowned upon in this community.
westcoastmanz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Can you spare another $100?

www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-over-and-under-smoker

I added another chamber to my 22.5 Smokey Mountain and drilled an additional layer of holes for another grate. A total of 6 grates, which means 15 square feet of smoking area. Remove the lowest for a diffuser (or water pan) and I still can do 10 briskets, 10 butts, or 14 racks of ribs.

Chicken goes into my fryer.

Last edited by Czarbecue; 07-17-2017 at 12:03 AM..
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2017, 11:49 PM   #3
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmanz View Post
Hello,
Also, curious if the 3 in 1 gas/charcoal/smoker is frowned upon in this community.
Are you talking about the 2 in one with a firebox (Oklahoma Joe Duo)? It's not frowned upon, but I say don't do it. It's fine for you average cooker on Any Given Sunday, but you will still need mods to make it workable for a good smoker. The chamber for gas/charcoal is divided so you will need to whip out that grinder to cut out the divide to expand the chamber. And those usually come with short smoke stacks. My friend did these mods and I still see him sweat it with the firebox.
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #4
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bandera don't need much mods.......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=243494

why Not a 2nd WSM or a UDS?

Old 07-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #5
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

You aren't going to get much better than an uds or wsm for that kind of money.
You could save your pennies for awhile and wait. Which because I am me I admit to never doing that except for my last one. I wish I would have done it sooner. Anyways for capacity how about a pit barrel cooker? I don't own one but alot of guys swear by them. They are under your budget and people love them alot. You should be able to pick up some meat with what you save.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Your WSM is a FINE cooker. Don't buy into the notion that you need to "move up". IF you want another cooker (we are ALL guilty of that)- then go for it. But there's nothing you can't do on another $400.00 cooker that you can't do as well (or better) on what you currently have.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
westcoastmanz
Found some matches.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the response. I should mention I've only been in the smoking game now for a little under a year. I'm not the most "handy" of people so what may be a simple mod to some would probably end up as a disaster in my case. Are there UDS that you can buy out there or is it DIY? I'm perfectly content with my WSM(I only use the top, no water pan, I think it's the smaller version). My wife is looking for an anniversary gift for me and wanted to go to the experts to ask opinions.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
westcoastmanz
Found some matches.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
westcoastmanz
Found some matches.

I am not handy enough to do something like that

Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
drallan81
On the road to being a farker

I'm not a competition cooker, but I have an 18 and 22 WSM and a UDS. If I had money to blow I would maybe invest in a good temp controller. I love my IQ120 and am looking into a PartyQ. Or more accessories for what you already have. Maybe rotisserie ring, hanging rib setup, table or shelter. I started w/ a cheap offset cooker, moved up to a mid-level but always hated the tending they required. Now I do think the Q tasted better coming of an offset, but not that much better for my needs to justify the tending. There is nothing better than firing up the smoker, throwing on a ton of meat, setting the temp on my 120 and then going to SLEEP!! Waking up in the morning with the temp is still nuts on and your food is ready to pull is a great feeling. It also allows me to cook more than I would otherwise. It is almost to easy and feels like cheating.

As you have started w/ a WSM I'm afraid you may get frustrated w/ an offset as they are not as set-it and forget-it. I've had a blast building my UDS and have spent more than I should on stainless fasteners as I am always tweaking w/ the design.
drallan81 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #11
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

If I had $400 I would be hitting Craigslist pretty hard within a 100 mile or more radius. You can probably get an $800-$1000 cooker for that same money, which would actually get you a nice smoker.

For $400 out the door of a store, I don't think you are going to find much of an upgrade from the WSM. May be tempted to get a 2nd wsm.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #12
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

When I wanted to cook more meat than a single 22" WSM could handle, I bought another 22" WSM.

That would be my first, second, and third recommendation if you like how your WSM cooks.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #13
JayQ
On the road to being a farker

IMO you should get the 22" wsm. It's about $400 and will cook a lot of food with little to no tending. You won't get an upgrade for $400. Those cheaper offset pits and pellet grills are junk at that price compared to the Weber. Again all just my opinion.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmanz View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the response. I should mention I've only been in the smoking game now for a little under a year. I'm not the most "handy" of people so what may be a simple mod to some would probably end up as a disaster in my case. Are there UDS that you can buy out there or is it DIY? I'm perfectly content with my WSM(I only use the top, no water pan, I think it's the smaller version). My wife is looking for an anniversary gift for me and wanted to go to the experts to ask opinions.
I'm not sure if I can link to them, but Big Poppa Smokers has a UDS kit. They'll even direct you to site to buy new fresh barrel. One user recently posted his build and he liked it so far. It's something I'd consider

Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #15
unixadm
Take a breath!

If I read your posts right, you have one of the two smallest WSM's available. If I were in your shoes and you want an upgrade but want to keep it around $400, I have a solution for you.

1. Buy a 22" WSM.
2. Buy an Auber temperature controller (LINK)
3. If money is a concern, sell your current WSM on Craigslist. That would most likely cover item #2.

For the temperature controller, go with a 6.5 CFM fan, the standard thermocouple and add the silicone gasket for the blower.

Now you have a larger capacity smoker with a PID control so that it's set it and forget it. If you look at my signature, I own over $30k in BBQ equipment. You want to know what I produced what I feel is the best BBQ of all time? An 18" WSM. You don't need to spend gobs of money to produce good food.

Lastly, there is a WSM competitor at Tractor Supply Company if I recall that people seemed to like. That might be something to look into, since I recall it was cheaper than a WSM. I love Weber though, because their customer service is awesome. I just wish they'd offer full stainless on certain things, because I'm tired of rust! :)

Good luck.

Tags
bandera, Hardware, new smoker