MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Gator BBQ
Got Wood.

Default Best way to minimize charcoal taste when using Minion Method?

A few weeks ago I made some great spare ribs with pecan and oak. They had a beautiful smoke ring. Great texture (not quite falling off the bone, but really tender). The only thing wrong with them was the hint of charcoal (I am guessing from using the Minion Method). Do any of you farkers have any good tips to keep that flavor from the meat or is that just the nature of the beast when using the method?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

What kind of charcoal are you using ??? Kingsford or natural lump ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Gator BBQ
Got Wood.

Normal Kingsford. Start it with a chimney. No fluid touches the coal ever.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
rcorun
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for asking this question Gator. Cant wait to see some of the replys. I dont use the minion method because of this. Add lit charcoal as needed.(about every 1 1/2 hour) Is a pain but I feel like you get a much cleaner burn. would like to try minion if I could find a lump charcoal that was more uniform in size
rcorun is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Did you supplement the charcoal with other hardwood? If so you might have got some heavy smoke flavor from that. I use the minion method on virtually all of my cooks and add wood for flavor, but I make sure that the wood is already burning before I put the food on. Otherwise you will get the heavy white smoke which will make your food taste like you are describing

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

never had this problem and i use the minion method on every cook. just do what stoney said and add the wood when you add your first lit coals and dont put the food on until you have thin blue smoke

Old 02-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
NewEnglandQ
Full Fledged Farker

This is a great question. Not sure if there is a way to minimize charcoal flavor when using minion method. However, I had been scoring poorly in ribs in competitions until I bought a WSM and then took 4th place at a KCBS event using the minion method. I guess a little charcoal flavor might not be a bad thing....
Traeger 075
Jenn Air Gasser
Grand Hall Smoker
Smith & Wesson Pellet Bullet
Fire Magic Built-in Charcoal Grill
NewEnglandQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Why not just use lump?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I only use lump when cooking on my kamado joe, not sure what is in Kingsford
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Gator BBQ
Got Wood.

Generally I always put the wood on with the burnt down coals and wait for the temperature to stabilize (takes 30 min to an hour).

Now that I think about it I put the wood on 5 minutes before I put the meat for on this cook. I wanted to try it this way because it is what the seasoned veterans generally tell the beginners to do.

I guess I will go back to throwing the wood in when I dump the hot coals in.

Last edited by Gator BBQ; 02-12-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Gator BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Try Stubbs charcoal or Kingsford comp, there both really good I've been using K comp lately and really like it and the price is right.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator BBQ View Post
Generally I always put the wood on with the burnt down coals and wait for the temperature to stabilize (takes 30 min to an hour).

Now that I think about it I put the wood on 5 minutes before I put the meat for on this cook. I wanted to try it this way because it is what the season veterans generally tell the beginners to do.

I guess I will go back to throwing the wood in when I dump the hot coals in.

I would quit listening to your season veterans.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
The only thing wrong with them was the hint of charcoal (I am guessing from using the Minion Method). Do any of you farkers have any good tips to keep that flavor from the meat or is that just the nature of the beast when using the method
My best guess is you're not getting a clean burn for whatever reason, and your smoker isn't putting out TBS (thin blue smoke). Poofy white smoke is bad, thin blue to invisible is good.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

Crazy as it may seem but I cant taste an off charcoal flavor when using the minion method. I use Kingsford blue mostly and sometimes lump. Did not even know what the "minion method" was before coming to this site some 3-4 years ago. I too thought the food would pick up a nasty chemical taste but it never has.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

we use a can never have used the minion method we make our own chimneys they hold 6lbs of kingsford 1 piece of wood in the bottom of the fire basket.dump fully lit chimney and 1 more chunk of wood on top use vents to control temp stabilize at 315-350 depends on what where cooking. temps hold 3-5 hours depends on outside temps.
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal, Minion Method, spare ribs, WSM