MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
Piggysquealers
Full Fledged Farker

I didn't take the temp when I foiled it, maybe that was where I messed up? It was 1130pm and I wanted to get in bed. I wonder if this one was flatter than normal or something? I was planning on it being done at 6 or 7 and resting it until an early lunch at 10. I am new to Oklahoma and briskets (butts were king in SC.) I guess I should have not foiled it so early
Piggysquealers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
Piggysquealers
Full Fledged Farker

Next time I'll give her more smoke time and get a choice one with a thicker flat (SAMs only had selects).
Piggysquealers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #18
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggysquealers View Post
in the end it was OK.. You can see where the temp probe was in the first picture and I stuck it with the pocket digital when I dazily pulled the meat off at o dark thirty. I put it in the thickest part of the point. It also passed the pull test (little resistance, but seperates) The burnt ends are currently cooking and they look like they will be good. 7.5 hours though?
Sorry, but I have always read that probe goes in the thickest part of the FLAT!
Am I wrong?

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #19
SpartaChris
Knows what a fatty is.

Question- when you foiled it, did you add any beef broth or vinegar or anything like that? Adding liquids of some kind will do wonders to help tenderize your meat.

Also, the 250 temp seems to me to be the reason why it was done so quick. Cook it around 220-230 and it'll take a bit longer.
SpartaChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #20
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

4.5 hours is fine for foiling. When I foil I put it in a pan then foil, never add liquids. It's usually done within a few hours after that. So yours could of been done, but there is some fat in your pics that doesn't look rendered. If you are gonna temp your brisket, temp in the middle of the flat, not the point. Check for tenderness in the thickest part of the flat too. I highly recommend cooking the packer whole and not doing any overnight cooks with brisket until you get fairly comfortable with your timing. Good luck!
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #21
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Did you trim too much fat off before beginning?
I can ruin a brisket faster than anyone, so I am no expert.
Probe tender in the thickest part of the flat is the rule.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #22
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Do you run with water in the pan. That seems like a lot of lit if you run dry. Glad it all worked out for you.
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, WSM 22