What do you think of these plans?

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A home made "shack" type smoker.

What are your thoughts? Cold Smoker?

File

I remember using something like that at my grand parents house many years ago....was not used for smoking though:rolleyes: Seriously...looks like a cool design:biggrin:

I remember using something like that at my grand parents house many years ago....was not used for smoking though:rolleyes: Seriously...looks like a cool design:biggrin:

Could that have been the "go cut me a switch" mod?

Could that have been the "go cut me a switch" mod?
No....grand pa's was a single seater....large hole in the ground, none of that blue water that you find in a port-o-potty:shock::biggrin:

Yes it a single setter. But looks great for cold smoking , but might need a smaller burner or it could over heat. jpw where in KY I am close to london

Last edited:
our family had money, we had a two holer.

Actually I have those plans bookmarked. Why would it not work to use as a regular smoker? Add a brick floor with a little sand over the top the use the bottom third of a barrel for a fire basket.

Would it have to be made out of hard wood? wouldn't pine give it a bad taste?

Friend of mine made one of those. He actually dug into the ground, lined it with fire bricks, and lined it partially inside the wood with firebricks, put a small wood basket and seals around everything.

We only used it for homemade german sausage. At the time I didn't care enough to pay attention to his air flow system.

I'd go check it out but he moved last year to SD, Ca - got tired of the cold weather.

Back