MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Default Potential BBQ Catering Scam Alert

Greetings all,

Cross posting to both catering forums to spread the word...

I had an interesting little episode today. The wife answered the phone to find a text to voice relay call wanting to book pulled pork sammies for 200. (For those unfamiliar, text to voice relay is used by deaf people to make phone calls. They type & a computer or person reads the typing to complete the relay). The wife took the time to try & determine when - where - how - etc. so she could get with me for a cost estimate. She also asked the caller to send us a request via email as that would perhaps make the discussion smoother than TTR.

We quickly received an email from micheal thomas ([email protected] quite adamant to get a cost & our location so he "can forward that to the carrier that will be coming to your shop for the pick up of the order." (Anyone getting suspicious yet?)

He then immediately called back - perhaps minutes after the email was sent - again pressing for a cost. We explained making 200 sammies for pick up would be pointless as most of the sammies would be mush by delivery. We recommended he get pork by the pound & buns then have his guests assemble their own fresh sammies. (Anyone disagree?) He asked for both costs.

We sent a cost for selling 200 sammies @ retail cost ($1200 plus sauce cost and tax) and the cost for 65 pounds of bulk pork ($650 plus buns, sauce and tax). Can you guess which he chose?

Yep - the $1200 plus option. Then he wanted to pay by credit card IN FULL IN ADVANCE AND wanted us to charge an extra $750 that we were then to wire to his courier to pay for the heated delivery pick up. Oh yes - and he never told us exactly where all this pork was going.

Needless to say - we told him we would only accept a money order or cashier's check and he would be responsible for paying his courier. Guess what happened?

Correct - he disappeared. After basically hitting us rapid fire for an hour by email & phone, we have now heard nothing concerning the order since we said no credit cards. Been about 8 hours. Guess he moved on.

Willing to bet this is a stolen credit card scam. Foolish caterer runs the card, wires the money then sees the transaction declined in a couple of days. Meanwhile, card thief has just made $750 off of foolish caterer.

Glad I'm a suspicious cynical bastard.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bet you just saved a monster headache.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
brownkw
On the road to being a farker

The same thing happened with my wife in her field of work (piano lessons). Luckily for us, we both thought it was too good to be true, and sure enough it was.
brownkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

This is fairly common and has happen before. I know some folks who got emails. They troll websites etc looking for phone numbers and email addresses to try and scam you with. I hope no one has fallen prey to these slimeballs. Anyway, it never hurts to keep spreading the word to let folks know to be on the look out. In hard times, some good folks may do desperate things and end up losing.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Same thing happened to me at work except they were looking for odd ball hydraulic components and I wasn't even a distributor for the parts they wanted. I called 2 of my vendors and one told me it was a scam been around for a while now. I quoted them twice list price and they still wanted to buy the parts, I asked them if this was a scam because my prices are high, me not being a distributor. They assured me this wasn't a scam gave me some company name and that they wanted to go with us because of our reputation. what ever reputation we have good or bad it was not for being a Vickers distributor. They use the voice relay because its free no matter where they call from and I think they get a little sympathy because of it. So it boils down to us being taxed on our phone bill to fund the voice relay program so these Nigerian scams can target us on our dime.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

good looking out Frank
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

They use TTR and email so you dont hear their voice or Nigerian accent. Read this scam before somewhere... Good catch!

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

yeah, someone else here i think got the same call.
nice catch.
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote