MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Extreme Makeover - Home Edition

They are in Fresno & I was selected along with many other restaurants and caterers to provide food for the work crews. No pay. This is strictly a donation on everyone's part. I only have to serve 100 people, so it's not too bad. I just might get my logo to flash for a nano-second on the show.

Wish us luck, we're serving the 2 am shift on Sunday morning We're providing a Tri-tip & chicken dinner.

Diamond Plate FAT 50 Ultra
200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
2 55-Gal Vertical Barrels
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!
TOPS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Its a good thing that you are doing. couple years ago when they did one here my little brothers company did all finish work on out side of house...siding, gutters, trim, and all lettering and logos were taped over...not allowed none of it. All vehicles were masked off.....only ones allowed were the actual company (builders) that took over the project. Non of the subs.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

How did they find you? They did a few episodes locally and I didn't know until after the fact. I would of loved to have volunteered in any capacity
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigman View Post
Its a good thing that you are doing. couple years ago when they did one here my little brothers company did all finish work on out side of house...siding, gutters, trim, and all lettering and logos were taped over...not allowed none of it. All vehicles were masked off.....only ones allowed were the actual company (builders) that took over the project. Non of the subs.
My brother in Law has his own Kitchen remodel company and did the rebuild on a Extreme Makeover home doing the remodel of the kitchen , cabinets, counters the whole thing in San Francisco. Extreme Makeover treated him and his crew like second hand chairty sub contract workers adding that when his crew finished up the remodel of the kitchen the " Extreme makeover Crew" would come in and act like they were finishing up the job for the camera to make it look good.

Don't get me wrong they do good things for deserving people, but they fail to show appreciation or recognize the REAL people doing the job for little bit of nothing.
I hope they give you props, but dont hold your breath...

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the heads up. I doubt very much that we are going to be on TV whatsoever.

The way I found out, was thru a friend that is friends with the actual builders responsible for getting everyone together. The builders setup a page on their website soliciting volunteers. I got my name on there and crossed my fingers. They contacted me this past Sunday evening for this weekend. I didn't even get the location until it was announced yesterday. I found out later that my neighbor's family was making all the contacts ahead of time.

They requested my logo for advertising purposes, but I don't think they are going to plaster everywhere. Besides, I'm only donating a small bit in this whole thing. I'm just trying to do my part is all.

200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Old 01-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good deed you are doing! Let us know what episode, please.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

Excuse me for being a bit cynical here .. but, doesn't the show make TONS of money from the TV networks? Why do they then not pay the people doing the work?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Equipment: Weber Kettle, Stainless GOSM,
Green Super-Fast Thermapen
Equipment Wish List: Smokehouse, Backyard Brick Pit with Lechon Spit
KuyasKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

I belive the big payback comes from the work these company (sub contractors) get afterwards. When they come into town they get ahold of the distribotors say the siding distribotrors for the material, It is the distribotors that line up the subs and when my brother did it the work he got from the distribotor and the Construction company was overwelming. He put on another crew to handle it. So yes you dont get much credit on Tv but afterwards it more then makes up for it. And his grew was on the Tv alot with the cast.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I hope it does not happen everywhere but the girl they built a house for about an hour and a half south of me around Virginia Tech had to give it up with in two years. I don't know the cirumstances.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogBack Mtn Comp BBQ Team View Post
I hope it does not happen everywhere but the girl they built a house for about an hour and a half south of me around Virginia Tech had to give it up with in two years. I don't know the cirumstances.
It's happened more than once, some people on the receiving end of the makeover have borrowed money against their upgraded property and have not been able to repay the loan...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

thats a great thing.. and your gonna have a blast.

We had one around here a few years ago, about a mile form my house. They took over the entire block for a week. Turned an old cape into a mansion. Added extensions, a built in pool, a nature walk thru the large yard. It was amazing.

But the family we had here in St james had the same problem as others after the makeover. It was a single parent who lost the spouse(police officer) to a shotting in the line of duty. i think it was the dad that was left behind, with 3 kids.

After the makeover, the original 40 year old tax assesment nearly quadurupled when the house got reassessed with 2006 rates. The real estate taxes went up so high, they could not afford the home any longer.

Just to put things in perspective regarding the taxes around here.

The tax bill in that area of Saint James, NY on new homes with 1 acre plots is about $14,000-15,000 a year. Old homes, same area, with old assessments were in the 6-8K range.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Robert, It is a good deed your doing.

They did a house about Three blocks from me. It was one of the first homes they did. Place came out beautiful the only problem was that they take over the whole block and make noise all night. I had a job on that street and they will not let me drive to it. It is like screw you kind of attitude. I have to admit it was the rent a cops that gave me the attitude.

I noticed lately though that it looks like they are doing more rural areas. Not so many neighbors effected.

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.

Last edited by Brian in So Cal; 01-10-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

A friend of mine has been the builder on two now, both rural...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your doing something good for people in need.
I'm sure the family will be very thankful for all your efforts, ever if they never meet you.

Your a good man.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #15
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Well, TOPS BBQ came thru for the event. Here's the biggy...I arrive with my crew at 9:30 pm to begin my shift for the 2 am dinner, Sat and the head of Food Organization comes over to me to tell me that the 10 pm food vendor bailed out on them. She asked if there was anything I could do to feed their people by 10:30 that night (1 hour!). I jumped on it while I sent one of my guys to get more wood and one of the organizers purchased more meat for me to cook. We pumped out over 100 chicken dinners for the first slot. The second got tri-tip & chicken dinners.

We recieved a whole lot of compliments. This wasn't even the best I ever put out, considering I had to grill it, instead of smoking it. One of the Extreme Makeover production heads came over to us and said that we saved the day. She asked for my card and told me that she would try to give me some more credit. Not sure what that entails, but no cameras came over to record us. I ended up getting home at about 5 am. Long night, but well worth it.

Here are some pics: http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/topsbbq/Extreme%20Makeover%20-%20Home%20Edition/?albumview=slideshow There's not much, because we ended up being busy in the begining. Hopefully I can get pics from other people.

200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
Bar-B-Chef Offset