Competition Tips

VA BBQ PIRATES

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
In the March Bullsheett on pg 27 there's a "Tips From A Pro" artical by Chris Marks. The most interesting part of the artical is that 9 of his 10 recommendations were "lifted" word for word from our website. WTF??? You'd think he'd at least take the time to reword them.

Here's the originals:
http://www.bbq-pirates-va.com/bbqcompetitiontips1.html

Any thoughts?

I would contact the Bullsheet to let them know, and ask for a sourse credit in the next issue. More than likely they are not aware, and will be embarrased, and willing to sourse.

Full Draw BBQ

:shocked:

I find it laughable that a seasoned competitor cannot come up with a list of a few general competition tips without plagiarizing someone's website. Wow. Just wow.

I would definately call Dawn and let her know. She will make sure that proper credit is paid in the next bullsheet.

:shocked:

I find it laughable that a seasoned competitor cannot come up with a list of a few general competition tips without plagiarizing someone's website. Wow. Just wow.

I agree but then I also disagree. Yes, a competitor should have no problem coming up with their own list, but then again, there is a real problem in this country with folks using or "stealing" others ideas without giving credit. They found a group of highly intelligent college kids cheating and the kids blew it off saying: "What's the big deal, everybody does it," to which I answer, no they don't and it is wrong.:tsk:

BTW: Nice list.

I agree but then I also disagree. Yes, a competitor should have no problem coming up with their own list, but then again, there is a real problem in this country with folks using or "stealing" others ideas without giving credit. They found a group of highly intelligent college kids cheating and the kids blew it off saying: "What's the big deal, everybody does it," to which I answer, no they don't and it is wrong.:tsk:

BTW: Nice list.

Agreed. It's not only wrong, it's illegal.

That sucks! Just wish I had a few tips that were worth stealing :shocked: other than what not to do...

Thanks - We did contact the Bullsheet & they are looking into it. I'm just still shocked that some one would do that.

In the March Bullsheett on pg 27 there's a "Tips From A Pro" artical by Chris Marks. The most interesting part of the artical is that 9 of his 10 recommendations were "lifted" word for word from our website. WTF??? You'd think he'd at least take the time to reword them.

Here's the originals:
http://www.bbq-pirates-va.com/bbqcompetitiontips1.html

Any thoughts?

Just to make sure, these were written by you and not copied from anywhere? Just an honest question.

And I'm surprised Chris did this, given his stature, but then again, it fits in along with how the BoD runs the ops

Looks like he is also stretching his championship claims a bit. The article and his web site claim over 40 National championships and 9 world championships. That may be, but they do not appear to actually all be barbecue championships...

Is that list all your own original content? If it is, are you aware of it being published anywhere else?

Looks like he is also stretching his championship claims a bit. The article and his web site claim over 40 National championships and 9 world championships. That may be, but they do not appear to actually all be barbecue championships...

By the way I read it, (by memory) he has 9 World Championship awards. I reckon anyone who has a call at the Jack or AR, or MIM has a World Championship award.

Not sure where the 9 comes from but I have heard that he has won the American Royal 8 times...that's pretty stong by itself! Although if he plagarized it is wrong no mater how many contests he has won!!

There is a mentality that "if it's on the web, it's public" even though it's not, but you'd think that an organization like KCBS that's so litigious over what it perceives to be its own Intellectual Property would know the difference.

Back