• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Newbie here, Ive read 200 pages so far and cannot find a method for cutting the top out of a 55 gallon closed drum, so it can be reused for a lid. it seems that most use a webber lid. I am cheap and don't want to buy one. If this is the only option the cheapest lid/grill I can find is home depot for $60.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbu...harcoal-Grill-20042711/203596576?N=5yc1vZbx8h
It is a Masterbuilt and not a webber…. will it work?
I picked up a couple of these at 1/2 price ,clearance end of Summer. The lids are a little smaller than a Weber and won't fit right on a drum, so you have to use flat-bar ring.

I was wondering about some of the paint jobs on your uds's. I see some pretty awesome designs and some look like they have decals on them. I'm sure they can't be plastic decals so what are they? Not an artist at all but want mine to look decent so any help is appreciated!

Incredible thread. Amazing information. I'm looking forward to building my first. Can't wait for some of this snow to clear. Anyone up in Canada? I saw some good posts from H20loo about insulating the UDS and the need for the oldman side pipe....good insight. Thanks very much!

Why are so many guys using closed top drums that you have to cut top or bottom out? Open top drums are easy to find around here.

Availability of drums

Why are so many guys using closed top drums that you have to cut top or bottom out? Open top drums are easy to find around here.

Believe me, there is nothing as frustrating as studying these threads for nights on end then trying to find a drum, sometimes any drum, in a non-industrialized part of the country. I ended up paying expensive freight from another part of the country.

I was wondering about some of the paint jobs on your uds's. I see some pretty awesome designs and some look like they have decals on them. I'm sure they can't be plastic decals so what are they? Not an artist at all but want mine to look decent so any help is appreciated!

I didn't put a decal on the one I built, but if I had to guess, a decal of some sort shouldn't be a problem. The outside walls of these things really don't get all that hot, in my opinion.

A dome lid off a Weber grill won't fit an open top drum. A closed top with a flat lid works great if you only want 1 rack.

:crazy: ..................................................................... :crazy:

I have flat top 3 racked UDS myself for 2 1/2 yrs now ---- the bottom or 3 rd generally gets a water pan but I've regularly cooked on 2 racks with flat top.

Top Rack

How to make Weber lids fit: (not my UDS pictured)- top 2" of another drum or just 1-2" flat bar

Last edited:

Vinyl decals on mine doing just fine.

Same thoughts as DJnKY - is there a particular high temp colored paint that is reccommended over others?? Sorry if it's already covered - been through quite a bit of thi thread.....it's 800pgs.

Ya high temp engine paint from Auto parts stores if you want pretty or just high temp BBQ paint from Walmart or Homedepot but they are Black or Silver only.

/Users/ensor/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2014/Feb 10, 2014/Photo on 2-10-14 at 3.18 PM.jpg
I am on my way. The 4 1/2" grinder with the thin blade made a nice cut on the lid.

Giving birth to the next UDS

This bad boy is going to be for my buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 771
Believe me, there is nothing as frustrating as studying these threads for nights on end then trying to find a drum, sometimes any drum, in a non-industrialized part of the country. I ended up paying expensive freight from another part of the country.

I saw this on craigslist, 55 gallon drums. Doesn't say what exactly was in it but a phone call can find out. It says located in Middleburg, probably 3 hours from you? Might be worth a drive if you want another one! Can't have too many.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/grd/4332642145.html

Back