so i have a brisket in the WSM. now what?

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
hi guys, just felt like chatting if anyone is interested in helping me along with some suggestions.

i bought a brisket at the market. it was kinda pricey, but the marbling a feel were beautiful.

i injected with butcher's and prime dust, let sit for @ 8 hours.

i dusted with lawrey's, coated with oakridge secret weapon, and sprinkled some smokin guns hot.

into the WSM with cherry and hickory wood @ 260*.

now, the package SAID whole brisket, it seemed quite thin, but figured maybe it was just cryoed tightly. but, as it turns out, it is just a flat. :doh::mad2: no "burnt" ends.

what are your thoughts? how should continue with this cook?

this was intended for comp practice, so any and all suggestions are appreciated. or none...i just felt like yapping. :thumb:

Yap away!

Basically, just let that sucker go until it's probe tender!

If you've got a temp probe in it, just let it ride until it gets above 180 then check periodically with a skewer or probe.

Depending in how dark you want the bark, either don't foil or foil when it's how you like it. I like to put about a cup of beef broth into the foul with it.

When it reaches probe tenderness, pull it, rest it and SLICE IT!

I need to do another brisket soon.....it's been too long!

thanks man!

i've been debating in my head whether to foil or not. i'm trying to remember WHY one would foil a brisket. i have, many times, in the past, but if i REALLY think about it, i'm not exactly sure why.

BTW, it is a good 9 pounds, so maybe i can make some true burnt ends. :thumb:

I read on this board somewhere that " You can't drink all day if you dont start in the Morning "

Nothing wrong with just a flat - you can still whack off some of it and prep like burnt ends - point or flat, they still are delicious.

a bit of an oversight on my part...yes.

fortunately, i have a rack of spares in the fridge. :-D

ehh.... im kinda on the fence bout foiling my brisket too.

ive never truly made a good brisket. foil or not. so i havent found my happy point yet. but i can tell u that my bark has never been the same since foiling.

last brisket i did i tried to foil from like 160-185 and then let it ride without foil till it was probing good. hoping the bark would firm up again before pulling it off. didnt work the best. but it was my best brisket to date. a little dry tho, and hard to slice bc it was so crumbly --->overdone. but the bark still didnt get back to where it used to be. i think im gonna try again next time with no foil and see how it goes. i miss that real good bark that just SCREAAMS of flavor.

yeah, i think i'm going to go no foil. i want all the brisket flavor i can get.

i need to figure a way to get all that good jus, though.

i'm another that has never foiled and the brisket comes out nice. i usually do packers but did a flat for a co-worker and it came out well and his guests loved it. as for the burnt ends, i second the notion that you can just chomp up some of the "well" done edges and they are "burnt end" like and very good. good luck. i'm not sure where in new england you are located, but if you are anywhere near worcester, i get my whole packers at Fairway beef just off 290. i don't recall what i paid but it was comparable to BJ's which only sells the flats now.

Back