MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chuck
Default Question(s) reagrding KCBS rules for removing meat from the smoker

I am returning to the BBQ contests this year after a 8 year layoff. My buddy that is helping this year got a KCBS Cook Timeline from a website to show me. On the time line it says to remove the brisket/ pork butt from the smoker, wrap and place in dry cooler. Then after about 1 1/2 hours, the time line says to unwrap and return to the smoker for glazing.

Is this process is illegal? I think this has been discussed in here before but I cannot find the thread.

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers
chuckswagonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Yup it's fine... Fine for the pork so long as it's still in one piece and fine for the Brisket regardless.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

It's definitely legal for brisket.

For pork, it is also legal as long as the pork remains intact. You can't part out the pork and put it back in (for example, you can't remove the money muscle, sauce it and put it back on the cooker).

Hope that helps. Look forward to seeing you out there Chuck!

Erik

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chuck

I just want to clarify, for the pork butt, it can be removed, wrapped and placed back in the smoker as long as the money muscle is NOT removed. The money muscle can be removed once the butt is ready for turn in.

For the brisket, I can remove from the smoker, separate the point from the flat, wrap the flat and return it later to the smoker. As for the point I can make burnt ends immediately.

I am correct in both cases?

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers
chuckswagonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

What's Up-Chuck?

Sorry couldn't resist. Here is my suggestion. Go to the KCBS website and read the rules. If you have been away for 8 years, some rules may have changed that you need to be aware of. While the Brethren are very helpful, why depend on someone's interpretation of the rules. Go directly to the source. I would link it for you but often have trouble with two cans and a string.

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2012_Rules.pdf

See if that works.

Good luck

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I think Robert has the best idea. Read the rules of your sanctioning body and know them. Printing them off and carring them to comps is not a bad idea. If in doubt, you can call the KCBS office if you're a member and/or ask the reps at a comp, because at the end of the day, their decision is final. I think the two peices of Brethren recommendation are also correct, but but better to be safe than sorry. You're question above is mostly correct, but it applies to more than just the Money Muscle. That was one common example. Another is putting pulled pork back in the cooker. Once the butt comes apart, no part may be placed back in. That would probably even apply if your butt fell apart on its own while resting. We can give you our understanding and enterpretations of the rules, but unless a rep tells you, you're taking a risk.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckswagonbbq View Post
I just want to clarify, for the pork butt, it can be removed, wrapped and placed back in the smoker as long as the money muscle is NOT removed. The money muscle can be removed once the butt is ready for turn in.

For the brisket, I can remove from the smoker, separate the point from the flat, wrap the flat and return it later to the smoker. As for the point I can make burnt ends immediately.

I am correct in both cases?
Yes. To build on what DMP said, it's not just the money muscle that can't be removed, but you can't part out the butt in any way and put it back on the cooker. So you can't take the money muscle off when it is done and put the rest back on either.

I agree with the other two posters, read the rules yourself, and at your first contest after the cooks' meeting stay and listen to the CD.

Erik

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

Just make sure all the meat stays above the proper temp. for holding food also. It should not be an issue for 1.5 hours and those big cuts of meat.
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote