MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #6301
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGass View Post
Thanks. Ball valve is the same I guess then, so I'll go with 3 holes of 1 inch diameter. Found a local store that specializes in fasteners, so i'll get the nuts, bolts, and washers there. Now to find a cheap weber on CL....

I'm assuming the 3/4 inch pipe and ball valve is the way most of you folks are going..

3/4" is what i used and have had no problems.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #6302
JimGass
Knows what a fatty is.

So, i've got a barrel, i've cut 3 intake holes, four holes for bolts to hold the cooking grate, 24 inches above bottom of charcoal basket. Charcoal basket made from dollar general grill plus expanded metal. going to add a handle.

I just missed on a 10 dollar Weber kettle on craigslist today. Curse those people who are faster than me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0151.jpg (97.1 KB, 1095 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0155.jpg (87.6 KB, 1095 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0153.jpg (55.3 KB, 1092 views)

Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #6303
ganso
Knows what a fatty is.

WOW were getting close to the 1,000,000 view.
ganso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #6304
stfrancis78
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Fresh Meat

So I found this site about a month ago and I have gotten very little work done since. I plan on starting my build once I find a drum, and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the following. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. I would like to have two racks. If I use a diffuser plate/water pan can I accomplish this without using a Weber lid mod? The reason I ask is the bottom rack would be closer than 24" to the box. I would cook without the diffuser when making smaller quantities, but would like the option for larger parties.

2. With the Weber lid mod, does anyone have issues with grease running down the barrel. I have 22" weber kettle and was thinking about using the lid. If I bolted the bottom of the kettle to the drum would this eliminate the grease. Could I just use high temp caulk to seal where the bottom kettle met the drum? I was planning on using the bolts to hold my top rack?

3. I like the look of a single intake, but I can't weld. I know that the UDS generally operates with all intakes closed and the ball valve mostly closed. What size pipe should I run for the single intake?
stfrancis78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #6305
darthtrader
Full Fledged Farker

I'm planning on doing a UDS build with a nice new unlined drum. Question is: do I still have to burn the exterior black paint off?
18.5 Weber Kettle
UDS
Masterbuilt Extra Wide Propane Smoker
darthtrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #6306
iamjw1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I have a question for those people that have UDS with flat lids and the 8 holes. When you are done with a cook, are you able to kill the fire by just shutting off the intake valve(s)? My concern here is a waste of fuel that is unburned durning the actual cook. Or, do you have another method to salvage any fuel that is left.
If I just close the air intakes fire is dead in less than a half hour without messing with the exhaust holes
iamjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #6307
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGass View Post
...I just missed on a 10 dollar Weber kettle on craigslist today. Curse those people who are faster than me!
I can top that. I just picked up a J code black/grey fleck kettle with a solid lid and heavy guage food grate for.... wait for it.... $1! It was on CL for $3, but they said everything was on the cheap at this garage sale today!!! Rusted out bottom, missing the coal grate, and the OT system is completely missing, but I DON'T CARE!!! It will get matched with a drum I already have for a drum for my Old Man. Should be a good present for him.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #6308
JimGass
Knows what a fatty is.

What a great score, McGurk.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #6309
BBQBobofA2
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I'm planning on doing a UDS build with a nice new unlined drum. Question is: do I still have to burn the exterior black paint off?
I had the same, nice new unlined drum, and i still did a burn out. removing the paint was nice, the finish coat went on well. Also, I didn't want the first time it saw heat to be when I was cooking. I was glad I did it.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #6310
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

My "unlined" drum had a rust inhibitor in it. I burned it, sand blasted it, and sanded it before I seasoned it.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #6311
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfrancis78 View Post
1. I would like to have two racks. If I use a diffuser plate/water pan can I accomplish this without using a Weber lid mod? The reason I ask is the bottom rack would be closer than 24" to the box. I would cook without the diffuser when making smaller quantities, but would like the option for larger parties.
It'll work just fine. My grates are 6" and 12" from the top of the drum. Diffuser is about 5" under the second grate. Temps are relatively even and have been producing great food with it.

Quote:
2. With the Weber lid mod, does anyone have issues with grease running down the barrel. I have 22" weber kettle and was thinking about using the lid. If I bolted the bottom of the kettle to the drum would this eliminate the grease. Could I just use high temp caulk to seal where the bottom kettle met the drum? I was planning on using the bolts to hold my top rack?
Grease is natural and won't hurt anything if you clean it out once in a while

Quote:
3. I like the look of a single intake, but I can't weld. I know that the UDS generally operates with all intakes closed and the ball valve mostly closed. What size pipe should I run for the single intake?
I can't weld either, but came up with a great single intake design that works very well for me. Here's a link to a detailed blog of the build:

http://reddhotpoker.blogspot.com/

Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #6312
bottomsupbbq
Full Fledged Farker

[/QUOTE]3. I like the look of a single intake, but I can't weld. I know that the UDS generally operates with all intakes closed and the ball valve mostly closed. What size pipe should I run for the single intake?[/QUOTE]

I USED JB WELD ON MINE.
bottomsupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #6313
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88285

Guys, I made a post on my new drum. Don't give up, it will be worth it.
Once I dialed in to 225, it just hung there.

Love my drum!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #6314
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Great looking drum! Very clean looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdawg View Post
They had some scrap stainless tubing at work, so I put it to good use.

Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #6315
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfrancis78 View Post

I have weber lid and if I use water or cook a lot of food at once I'll get goo running down the sides. No biggie it'll wash off. If your lid seals the outside of the drum then you'll get grease if you have a lot of moisture in there. Not sure how to get around that, it's the design of the lid.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker